Leopard tortoise Laying Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
That was really cool to watch. I found myself wanting to help her out, such a slowwww process. Do you then get the eggs before they are completely covered? Or do you leave them in the ground? Also, have you added anything to the soil yours nest in? The earth is so hard here in Phoenix I wonder how they can ever get it wet enough to make any progress.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
That was really cool to watch. I found myself wanting to help her out, such a slowwww process. Do you then get the eggs before they are completely covered? Or do you leave them in the ground? Also, have you added anything to the soil yours nest in? The earth is so hard here in Phoenix I wonder how they can ever get it wet enough to make any progress.

You'd be surprised Joy, their legs are very strong and it takes them awhile, but they can get through just about anything.

Congrats eweezy. How big is the female? I may take a couple of her offspring when they're ready to go.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Neal said:
DesertGrandma said:

You'd be surprised Joy, their legs are very strong and it takes them awhile, but they can get through just about anything.

Congrats eweezy. How big is the female? I may take a couple of her offspring when they're ready to go.

I may have too as well thats one awesome female

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
lushcious said:
Very cool!
...and 5th clutch?! Wow!

Yup 5th clutch!

AustinASU said:
How many this time?

I dont know the exact number lol but at least 12.

tortadise said:
Fantastic. Thats awesome 5 clutches. Congrats.

Thanks I'm quite proud of her, lets go for number 6 now!

JeffG said:
Very nice! Congratulations!

Thanks Jeff has yours dug any more test holes or actual nests yet?

Neal said:
DesertGrandma said:

@Joy
Thanks Joy I always want to help her out too which I always end up doing. :) I am incubating her first two clutches but these last three I am leaving in the ground for at least another month or two. I want to see if there will be any difference in the hatch rates between the two, plus the sulcatas took all the incubators up anyways. I havent added any soil at all and the ground isnt too hard where she lays for some reason (she has laid all 5 nests within 2 yards of each other) but yes for the most part the ground is rock solid here in AZ. They can still dig through the hardest parts of the ground because their nails are quite sharp and you'd be surprised how much urine they can expel to make it nice and soft. In fact I have some parts of the yard that have the black landscaping tarp thats 3-4 inches under the dirt and she tears through that as well.

@Neal
She's over 17". I will be sure to let you know when they do hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.