Leopard Tippy super active and using water bowl frequently all of a sudden, is something wrong??

Jhwells46

So today I planted some young Yucca plants in Tippy's new enclosure. She did spend the weekend at the vet for boarding purposes, nothing health related, and I don't know if she's just a little freaked out about having been moved around more than usual, or if the enclosure updates have anything to do with this. I've noticed her using her water bowl at least 15 times a day since we've had her back, which is something entirely new for her. She used it to drink out of from "land", but wouldn't really go for a dip in it on her own that I ever noticed. She's also been super active, making several laps around her enclosure over an hours time. Perhaps just checking out the new digs? I had to switch her into a giant Rubbermaid tub last month due to humidity issues and too much space to try to regulate. She's got a top soil/coco coir substrate with sphagnum moss here and there. All plants are edible and her temps are 85 ambient at all times, basking 100-105 and hot side 95 cool side 87. Humidity is 50-60% as I am re-acclimating her from sub par humidity in her previous set up. She goes outside for about 30 min-1 hour every sunny day and munches as she roams. Her appetite has really picked up lately and has been trying a lot of new foods that she normally would have scoffed at. She is a year and four months now and weighs 103 grams. Is this behavior change related to a potential illness or is she just happier and healthier? Could she just now be unsatisfied with her enclosure since being outside more often? Any input would be great. Thank you all! Mind you, I'm just about to clean her water dish, but I wanted to show you the destruction that it goes through in a few hours...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404266926.618700.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404266945.986607.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404267004.347931.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Frequent use of the water bowl could indicate a temp problem, but the roaming could just be her checking things out.100 sounds a little hot, she might just be trying to cool off. I don't know in an indoor enclosure, I might want to knock down the hot side a little bit.

Jhwells46

Ok, I can move one of her UV lamps higher up onto the lip on the tub, as opposed to it being down it the tub as it is in the pictures.

Jhwells46

She's always favored the cooler side of her enclosure, hopefully moving the lamp up a few inches will lower it to her liking :) thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My Leopards like basking temps closer to 95F or slightly lower.

It could be water dish placement. Enclosure corners tend to get more traffic.

Jhwells46

My Leopards like basking temps closer to 95F or slightly lower.

It could be water dish placement. Enclosure corners tend to get more traffic.

I wondered if that was the problem, but the dish has been in the corner for a few weeks now. Maybe she just figured it out? I also pointed one of the lamps down directly towards the water to keep it warm and she goes for a quick dip and them hops out and grazes a bit. I'll definitely move her lamp up tomorrow to lower the basking temps a bit. Thanks for your advice!

Jhwells46

I have a 50w fluorescent bulb along with a 125w CHE on her cool side which stay on at all times and two UVA/B full spectrum daytime bulbs that are 100w each I think. One is older and less strong and the other is new and still gives off optimal heat. Both UV bulbs are about a foot from the substrate and the CHE and nighttime bulbs are about six inches from the substrate. Temps are now 95 basking and ranges from 90-83 ambient from hot to cool side.