Large sulcata breathing hard

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pomona California
Ive been noticing my sulcata breathing hard. Not sure if it normal. I dont hear wheezing, and i dont see discharge on the nose. He is approximately 7 yrs old. He is about 70 pounds. He is very active and eats well. Here is a video i took this morning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? Please put it in your user profile. This will help us advise you in the future. Different advice for Phoenix vs. Seattle.

How is this tortoise housed? What do you feed him? How often do you soak? What are his night temps?

The heavy breathing might not be anything to be concerned about, but it could also be an indicator of an oncoming problem.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The heavy breathing might not be anything to be concerned about, but it could also be an indicator of an oncoming problem.

~ Your video depicts that it is simply breathing for the purpose of smelling and does not seem labored to me. We notice our aldabras do this when interested in something, usually attempting to smell possible food options.

~ This video, you can clearly hear the heavy breathes of Sampson when he nears my phone, he is smelling it as a possible food source and is very typical.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
Where are you? Please put it in your user profile. This will help us advise you in the future. Different advice for Phoenix vs. Seattle.

How is this tortoise housed? What do you feed him? How often do you soak? What are his night temps?

I am in Pomona California, I use a xl dog igloo with a infrared heat lamp, 175 watt with adjustable temps. he grazes on grass daily and twice a week he is fed a salad that consists of timothy hay , cactus, romaine, collar greens and mazuri plus vitamins. I don't get to soak him often because I am not able to lift him anymore, but I do keep a large tray of water in his pen, big enough for him to get in.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
~ Your video depicts that it is simply breathing for the purpose of smelling and does not seem labored to me. We notice our aldabras do this when interested in something, usually attempting to smell possible food options.

~ This video, you can clearly hear the heavy breathes of Sampson when he nears my phone, he is smelling it as a possible food source and is very typical.

What would be sign of labored breathing? I will post another video, he kept moving to much to really capture the breathing.