Ivy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Does anyone know offhand if ivy is toxic to tortoises? I am trying to determine if I need to remove it from fencing or if covering the root base will be enough. It is not my intention to feed it to T; I just want to know whether or not it would make him sick if he somehow got a chomp or two. Thanks.

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
That is what I am thinking too. I have a shovel at the ready. It is just so pretty that I wanted to double check before I rip it out.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Almost all ivys are considered dangerous to reptiles. Please note, however, that this does not mean your tortoise will try to eat it. If it has been in there for a while and he has not touched it yet, it may not be a high priority to remove. Lots of keepers have had ivy in their habitats without incident.

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Almost all ivys are considered dangerous to reptiles. Please note, however, that this does not mean your tortoise will try to eat it. If it has been in there for a while and he has not touched it yet, it may not be a high priority to remove. Lots of keepers have had ivy in their habitats without incident.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.