Is this plant edible for RTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Does anyone knowImageUploadedByTortForum1370809409.385488.jpg what type of plant this s and if its edible for Russian torts?

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Agreed, I also think it's black medick. It is edible, but in my experience, Russian tortoises don't seem to prefer legumes.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Thanks! My Boris discovered it while I had him outside roaming.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
rhondak said:
Thanks! My Boris discovered it while I had him outside roaming.

Was he feeding on it? If so, then good for him! Legumes like clovers and black medick are a good source of protein. A few other tortoise keepers here have said that their Russians will also eat legumes. However, others including myself have found that Russians seem to turn their nose up at them. This could be because legumes are not part of the Russian tortoise's diet in Central Asia, where the environment might not be moist enough to support many legumes.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
He was munching on them. He didn't eat too many since he was so busy roaming. :). I stopped him when I saw him go to eat them at first because I didn't know what they were and wasn't expecting him to start munching. Lol. Once I posted the question and than looked up the plant, I found out they weren't toxic and let him eat if he stopped to munch.

Status
Not open for further replies.