Is this normal?

Feyotter

Location (City and/or State)
York, Pa
What device are you using to measure humidity?

Are you using a swamp cooler in the house?

Why is the room temp 84 inside your house? I ask because those are not normal parameters for a house. If those are your normal parameters then your open enclosure should be fine. Are those parameters going to stay that way come fall and winter?
Do you think I should move him to the 55 gallon tank I mentioned before?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
As small as he is, a 55 gallon tank would be a good starting terrarium for your little one, I'm sold on fully enclosed tanks for starting off, it is some much easier to keep the temps/humidity regulated to where they need to be. Just be ready because he will grow fast!!

Feyotter

York, Pa
As small as he is, a 55 gallon tank would be a good starting terrarium for your little one, I'm sold on fully enclosed tanks for starting off, it is some much easier to keep the temps/humidity regulated to where they need to be. Just be ready because he will grow fast!!
Thanks for the reply. I hopefully wouldn't have him in there for very long since I'll be moving him to a 8x4x4 completely enclosed enclosure once its current occupant is no longer in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think I should move him to the 55 gallon tank I mentioned before?

Your situation is unique, but I would use the 55.

Those stick-on dial hygrometers are inaccurate and unreliable. I'd pick up a $10 digital one from a hardware store.

I agree with you that you'll be on easy street once you move him into the 4x8x4 enclosure.

Feyotter

York, Pa
Your situation is unique, but I would use the 55.

Those stick-on dial hygrometers are inaccurate and unreliable. I'd pick up a $10 digital one from a hardware store.

I agree with you that you'll be on easy street once you move him into the 4x8x4 enclosure.
Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up one of those hygrometers - hopefully I can find one at Lowes. You wouldn't happen to know a brand name or type would you? Is it like a thermometer gun or does it use a probe? As soon as I can drag the 55 up from the basement I'll get him set up in that. In the meantime, I finally did see him moving around, eating and drinking today. At least I know he's getting hydrated and nourishment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up one of those hygrometers - hopefully I can find one at Lowes. You wouldn't happen to know a brand name or type would you? Is it like a thermometer gun or does it use a probe? As soon as I can drag the 55 up from the basement I'll get him set up in that. In the meantime, I finally did see him moving around, eating and drinking today. At least I know he's getting hydrated and nourishment.

I get mine at Lowes too. Accu-Rite.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Digital-Indoor-Black-Thermometer/50425254