Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
OOOOHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!

Good stuff, that mallow is. :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I found some of this today and I'm excited but now I want know how I can grow this in my yard or in pots or something. Can I find seeds for this?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Thanks. I've never seen it in yard before. It just grew in an area I'd cleared out to make a tortoise enclosure. It's like the weed fairy came.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Elohi said:
I found some of this today and I'm excited but now I want know how I can grow this in my yard or in pots or something. Can I find seeds for this?

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

As the season progresses and things start to dry out and warm up, it will produce seed pods. Collect all you want. Its great stuff. I've been encouraging it all over the ranch for a decade now and the tortoises love it. I always let some go to seed and then spread the seeds all ove dthe place. Then I pull out any unwanted competing weeds by the root.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
Elohi said:

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

As the season progresses and things start to dry out and warm up, it will produce seed pods. Collect all you want. Its great stuff. I've been encouraging it all over the ranch for a decade now and the tortoises love it. I always let some go to seed and then spread the seeds all ove dthe place. Then I pull out any unwanted competing weeds by the root.

Thanks Tom.
I found two huge plants of it in a lot where they are building a house. I've never seen it anywhere else so I was rather surprised to discover that it was mallow (still learning the weeds). I hope I get lucky enough for it to go to seed before they finish the yard. They are still building and the house it taking forever so I might get lucky. I may go trumping off in the woods and see if I can find a few patches of it. Surely I will? I hope!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can harvest the leaves all season.. don't pull the plant,, just pick the leaves and more grow!
seeds come later...

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I know it's a weed but since I live in arid Pheonix should I water the mallow to make sure it stays alive or just leave it be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GotTort said:
I know it's a weed but since I live in arid Pheonix should I water the mallow to make sure it stays alive or just leave it be?

I water mine as much as it needs depending on the rain. Or total and complete LACK of rain as was the case this year...

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
How do I know how much water to give it?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've tryed to dig it up but it drys out and dies . But I do water it or dries out and wilts but as I water it it comes right back ! If you want more plants just use a claw rack and rack your bare spots and they come up when it rains