Is he trying to hibernate?

akp022

5 Year Member
My Greek tortoise, Aggie, has been sleeping all but ~20 minutes a day. I get him up in the morning to eat and sometimes for a soak and he'll eat then go back to sleep until the following morning. I didn't realize he was going back into his hide to sleep after he ate until I was home this weekend and noticed he did it both yesterday and today. I am not sure if he's trying to hibernate or what he's doing, but his temperatures are good/normal and he seems to be healthy (not acting different besides wanting to sleep all the time). I'm not really worried at this point since he seems healthy, I am just curious as to whether I should be waking him up to eat or just let him sleep?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
How long have you had him in your care? If less than a full year, then I would make sure your temps/enclosure are all spot on .... I would also make sure to bother him a few times a day --pull him out and place him under his basking light , offer food and do a long warm water soak each day for no less than 30 minutes.....