Is deer block protective mesh strong enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I saw this product online and was wondering if it is strong enough to use on my Russians outdoor enclosure? It would go all around, under the dirt, up the walls, and if it doesn't block the uv rays as the cover too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100328...&productId=100328622&R=100328622#.UXdsNTDnYeM

To get a better idea of my enclosure to come, it's a box frame with a lid sunken into the ground. It's made out of 2x4s and is just a frame now, but once I get the mesh it will go in the ground and be planted.
Will it keep cats and coons out? And Russians in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If that stuff is plastic then I say its a "no go". I had a big lizard escape once because a rat chewed through the plastic mesh in an area behind a bush that I couldn't see. Since that day I have only used metal welded wire in my cage construction.

You will still need something opaque for the walls. Tortoises need a visual barrier as well as a physical one. Also, that mesh will act as a ladder for little tortoise feet. Escape might not be possible with a lid, but falling and landing on its bask is.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
There will be a sight barrier around the outside, and I was going to put something to round the corners and prevent climbing. Do you think climbing up the sides not in a corner will be an issue?

I didn't think about something chewing through the mesh, I'll go with the metal hardware cloth to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.