Introduction and question about personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrilac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi-
I wanted to take the time to introduce myself. I’ve spent the last month and a half studying tortoises. After reading everything I can on redfoots, memorizing Terry’s Care sheets (thanks Terry), and converting my backyard into the ultimate redfoot habitat (I ‘m a little obsessive); I have finally decided to get one. However, I am still taking my time before bringing one home.

I have been thinking for a few weeks that I would like a Cherry Head (they look so stunning). However first and foremost I want a really great friendly pet.

The question I have for all of you with Cherry Heads (Brazilians) and Redfoots from other places, is do you see a personality difference. I recently spoke to someone with both, who loves them all, but prefers their non- Brazilian redfoots. What do you think?

Also what difference do you see in the hatchlings you have raised and the adults you’ve acquired (if any)? I’ve been thinking I would like an adult, so they can enjoy the back yard I’ve created for them right away. BTW- I live in San Diego its usually really warm here.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :D

I've had both types of Redfoots and the Northern Redfoots seem to be the most personable.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Carilac!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi! Glad you've done the research, and I hope you can get a tort soon. They are so much fun. :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Welcome to the forum. I'm certainly not an expert on tortoises, but my son did get a Cherryhead for Christmas/08 and we love him. My family says that I'm obsessed with him, but he relies on us to take care of him so we have to do our best. He got used to our home and now he is either up in the morning waiting for his breakfast or he comes out as I switch the lights on and say "Good morning Dale are you hungry?" It is so cute. I would say he's got plenty of personality and whoever said that tortoises are fast didn't have one. He walks around my bedroom and I can hardly keep up with him. Good luck with whichever one you choose. Candy :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Candy-That's awesome. Our house too now resolves around our Trevor. He's a little sleepyhead though (baby) and doesn't wake up until a couple hours after his sun comes up, and is asleep before his sun sets. He sure can run too (he always poops outside of his enclosure when we let him out so no carpet for him and our hard flooring is too cold for him). He's tiny and loves to crawl on us when we're on the couch, lol. I enjoy making him a nice salad every morning and we've taken to giving him a snack in the afternoon so we can watch him eat (he's a growing tort so it's ok).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi!!

I have both and some were raised from youngin's and atleast one who is suppose to be a wild caught, but has been in captivity for awhile. Currently they are kept in two groups. In his group, the WC redfoot is actually the one who runs to see me. In the other group, which I raised from youngsters, it's a cherryhead who leads the pack. So I won't say one or the other. It's a matter of luck I think, each has it's own personality. I do think generally one you raise from a youngster will be friendlier...or if you purchase one who has had more human interaction. WC tend to be shy.

I think, if your finding yourself preferring the cherryhead, that's what you should get. Otherwise, you will regret it in the future. Of course, has anybody warned you about torts? They are like Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one. :D How about just cutting to the chase and getting one of each now?? :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.