Infertility - Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

biothon

5 Year Member
Greetings All,

Currently have 1.3 Sulcatas that have been breeding for approximtely 1.5 yrs. All are between the estimated ages of 18-25 and are housed outdoors with all the appropriate feed, supplements, etc.

I have had 2 partial developments in roughly 240 collected eggs with no successful hatches. Eggs are incubated at 86 degrees with no fluctuation. I have not seen any veining at any stage of development with the exception of 1 partially developed at roughly 75% before premature death. The vast majority all contain yoke with no development.

Is it fairly common to have infertility in males? This may be a reason he was available as well and this info not passed on.

Appreciate any comments and/or suggestions. Thanks!

Galen Clark
Biothon, LLC
Lafayette, LA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Galen!

The next time you see the male mounted on a female, get down on the ground and look to see if there is actual penetration happening. Sometimes the configuration of the shell around the tail, due to bad husbandry at a very young age, is not conducive to actual breeding.

I would like to see plastron pictures of all the tortoises, if that's possible.

argus333

5 Year Member
my leopards have this problem bread all the time but dont connect she digs holes and lays some eggs but not fertile.

Status
Not open for further replies.