Indoor Vivarium?

Jessica Harbur

I don't have a tortoise yet but my husband and I are interested in getting a Russian in the future.

We have a 4x2x4 vivarium that we'd like to utilize but I know it can promote humidity which wouldn't be great in our situation. Any ideas on how to alter the doors or what to remove and replace them with? The top is 50/60% ventilated as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessica and welcome to the Forum!

Chances are you probably will be getting a full grown Russian tortoise. They don't need the humidity that we talk about on here for baby tortoises. But they DO need a very large area to roam and wander. Any chance you can double the length of that vivarium?

Jessica Harbur

Unfortunately the existing viv isn't expandable but he will get time to roam around the house if the cat doesn't mind him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Unfortunately the existing viv isn't expandable but he will get time to roam around the house if the cat doesn't mind him.

Hello and welcome.

4x2 is too small for anything but a hatchling, and moderate humidity is good for any tortoise species.

Letting the tortoise run loose on the floor is a disaster waiting to happen. Many tortoises are killed, injured or get sick or impacted this way every year. THey need a dedicated tortoise enclosure, both indoors or out.

Here is some care info to give you a better idea of what you'd be getting into:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

If after reading all that you decide a tortoise and all its requirements is not for you, then may I suggest a different reptile pet? That size tank would be great for a Blue Tongue Skink. They are personable, inquisitive, easy to feed and care for and are probably the best reptile pet there is.