indoor substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumrunr16

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I see a lot of opinions on what substrate to use for sulcatas. I recently built a two story home for my tort, Spanky. It is made out of wood and painted with water based polyurethane. What is the easiest to clean? i was thinking of putting rocks around his water supply area then putting down coconut fiber bark... maybe mixing that with organic topsoil? Any input would be great. I need something that is not to hard to clean since his table is 4ft by 4 ft square it is a fairly large area to strip too often.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I suggest using playsand (not reptile sand) to mix with the coconut coir, or with cypress mulch. Dampen it enough so it isn't dusty and make a hide with damp substrate ( I mix it with Mosser Lee sphagnum moss).
I pick out poop daily with a kitty pooper scooper. Once a week I stir the substrate to keep it fresh. I usually only replace the whole substrate about every 2-3 months or longer if it doesn't smell. Sometimes I add more sand or mulch after picking out poop for a few days cause I take substrate with it.
Good luck
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The sand you buy at Home Improvement stores labeled "Play Sand" has been sterilized and is larger particles than the sand labeled for reptiles. Also, even though they say it doesn't, Reptile Sand might cause impaction if ingested. And the particles are so small, chances are pretty good it will be ingested.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.