Incontinence is becoming a huge issue with my dog

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
She has had this problem for a little over a year and we did take her to the vet last year. She was given a prescription for pills and she wouldn’t take them without a fight. She wasted about half the bottle, so we gave up trying to give her the pill and I assure you we tried everything from peanut butter, hot dogs, hamburger, lunch meat, tuna fish and cheese. Each and every time she would run off to drop it on the ground and remove the pill from the treat. There were a few times when we held her and pushed the pill down her throat only to have her run off and throw it up. She was determined to not take those pills.

She is taking the "Resources Canine Incontinence", but we have to play into her to do it. I have to set down with her and the other dog who is an aggressive food hound to get her to take them. I have a couple of other treats in my hand as well the pills and as the beagle is jumping all over trying to snatch the treats out of my hand, I slip a pill the Paige and she chews it up while I give the beagle a treat. After she takes the pill I give her a treat and she runs off so the beagle will not steal it from her. I tried doing the same thing last year with the prescription medicine, but there is something in the pill the she just doesn’t like and she can smell it.

I asked the question on the internet of how long the other pills take to work and got answers from a week to a month. So we are going to continue with these until the bottle is done although I’m not sure if I’m going to continue unless there is a dramatic change within the next week. There has been a change in her since we started with these new pills, but it does not eliminate the problem completely.

The difference is that instead of a constant dripping as before, it is now sudden discharge of about 2 to 3oz and usually happens with excitement when someone walks out the door. I do see her going out to relieve herself regularly even through the night on my security cameras so her balder must be working somewhat.

I have spoken to another vet besides my current vet and I’m told that it does not sound like it is from being spade because it’s been over 8 years and the problem only now started. She said that usually it would have started shortly after the spade and it is most likely due to old age.

Anyway we are going to get her old prescription refilled and see if we can get her to take the pills after she has been conditioned to taking pills twice a day. And due to her age, I am not going to spend a lot of money for unnecessary tests or procedures just because my vet wants to buy another house or go on a lavish vacation. Paige is not sick and does not appear to be suffering in anyway. I know when she is sick because I got her when she was deathly sick.

I don’t know exactly how old she is because she was in pretty bad shape when we got her with large scars on her head and back as is if she were beaten with something. Every time I pick up anything that resembles a pipe, she closes her eyes and drops her head before running off to hide.

Perhaps when you are going to administer the medication, you remove th3 beagle from the area all together so the focus will be entirely on the task..the beagle can go in another area of the house or vise versa? Also, you mentioned the dog was is poor condition physically and likely personally when you saved her and brought her into your family? Perhaps there are triggers that cause this deep seeded behavior? I have a female dog that was unfortunately treated poorly (putting it politely here) before she came to our home...it has been since 2006 since she has lived with us, when she first came to our home she was about a year or two old, not youse broken..so that was taught to her in the first few days and she did well. However as she has aged some she will have an excited piddle from time to time..when this hapens she immediatly within a split second hits the ground cowering then immediatley rolls over and begins feverishly to lick up the piddle in what appears to be a plea to not be hit...well, I have never hit her for this and the moment she begins this crazy moment I will calmly tell her to go and assure her she is alright...and then only will she get a look of relief on her fafe and posture...there are some things both in animal and humans that can be so deep seeded that will not leave..a new behavior to deal with the moment can be learned though...

Have you thought abiut ripoingmout your carpet and go with hard surface flooring? :p