ID that lizard

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hanging out at a swank hotel in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Had some serious head bobbing game going on when s/he saw me taking pictures. Ran really fast for a large one. Probably around 18” long and looks like they eat well.

I got a good video but can’t post it right now…

Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 3

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Itd be easier just to call it a black iguana 😜 that would be a lot faster to type out the name. I've had to Google several times and still can't spell it right.🤗

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hanging out at a swank hotel in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Had some serious head bobbing game going on when s/he saw me taking pictures. Ran really fast for a large one. Probably around 18” long and looks like they eat well.

I got a good video but can’t post it right now…

Anyone know what it is?
Tammy is right! Ctenosaura is definitely the genus, but I'm not sure of the species. Common name would be Mexican spiny tailed iguana. I used to have one as a pet years ago, and many people here now breed all the different varieties. I'm on a list to get the banana pectinata. They are one of the nicest reptile pets you can get. Super tame.

This juvenile just walked right on to your hand like a puppy looking for attention.
IMG_5920 copy.jpg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thanks! I’ll head back to that hotel tomorrow for breakfast and see if I see it again. I Did the turtle release tonite, will post pics tomorrow. Damn if baby turtles aren’t the cutest things ever…

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks! I’ll head back to that hotel tomorrow for breakfast and see if I see it again. I Did the turtle release tonite, will post pics tomorrow. Damn if baby turtles aren’t the cutest things ever…
Looking forward to all the pictures!