I think Yoshi (RT) is ill? I'M WORRIED

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hey I have GREAT news, she ate a little yellow flower out of bag #9, a leaf from the spring mix, and attacked the plant (easter cactus) by eating 2 leaves. Maybe she's coming out of her stupor or whatever was going on. Now she's behind the plant resting. haha
That is fantastic news. Well done Yoshi!!

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I haven't tried transplanting my ground elder yet. I'll give it a try and if it does well I can give you some... I have LOTS
Oh thank you! I've ordered some varieties of seeds so should get them in a day or two and then I'll plant them ASAP. She seems to be broadening her pallet yesterday was easter cactus, a yellow flower, and a few leaves of the spring mix. The day before that was just the strawberry. She does seem to be getting better, I'm afraid to get too overly excited, but I want to jump for joy haha I've also order the pressed organic coconut oil for her flaking shell, hopefully that will give it a little moisture and heal. I soaked her inside pen down really good this morning and it raised the humidity up to 45 % on my new gauge. Will wet it down again tonight really good and try and keep it moist for her. May need to put that plastic around her enclosure like you recommended. Especially this winter since I'm not going to hibernate her. Thank you so much, all of you for all your GREAT advice, I really appreciate it and I'm sure Yoshi does too.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
UPDATE: Yoshi just had part of her 2nd meal for the day, I’m so proud of her. Now can I say she’s pretty much out of the woods? Or is it still too early to tell? *crossing my fingers *

Bambam1989

East Texas
UPDATE: Yoshi just had part of her 2nd meal for the day, I’m so proud of her. Now can I say she’s pretty much out of the woods? Or is it still too early to tell? *crossing my fingers *
I'd give it another day or two just to be sure, but it sounds like she is doing great. Has she pooped since the vet visit?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Well today was Yoshi's weigh day and she weighed in at 873g and measures 6.5"

That's up from last week of 865g and I never measured her before so don't know how much she's grown since I've had her.

She's still not really eating and for a test I mixed up a small square of butternut squash with some mazuri and nothing. Put a small piece of butternut squash on her greens and she ate the entire piece of butternut squash and walked away. What a little turd, I think she's determined on eating only what's bad for her like a little kid with their candy.

Her shell is starting to peel, also. Here's a picture:20180623_100012.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
Well today was Yoshi's weigh day and she weighed in at 873g and measures 6.5"

That's up from last week of 865g and I never measured her before so don't know how much she's grown since I've had her.

She's still not really eating and for a test I mixed up a small square of butternut squash with some mazuri and nothing. Put a small piece of butternut squash on her greens and she ate the entire piece of butternut squash and walked away. What a little turd, I think she's determined on eating only what's bad for her like a little kid with their candy.

Her shell is starting to peel, also. Here's a picture:View attachment 242863
Starting to really sound like she is being a picky eater. It might be time for tough love and remove the unhealthy stuff from her diet "cold turkey" style.
Is there a possibility she has been snacking on enclosure plants when your not looking?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Starting to really sound like she is being a picky eater. It might be time for tough love and remove the unhealthy stuff from her diet "cold turkey" style.
Is there a possibility she has been snacking on enclosure plants when your not looking?
For her to have gained weight I would think so. I probably should put more of a variety of enclosure plants in her pen instead of mostly succulents, huh? I agree, she seems pretty healthy just being a snot, so tough love it is...battle of wills...I doubt she will starve herself to death if she's not really ill, right?

Bambam1989

East Texas
For her to have gained weight I would think so. I probably should put more of a variety of enclosure plants in her pen instead of mostly succulents, huh? I agree, she seems pretty healthy just being a snot, so tough love it is...battle of wills...I doubt she will starve herself to death if she's not really ill, right?
I would continue to monitor her weight once a week though. You can expect some fluctuation because of food intake and pooping but you can watch for steady declines as they can be a sign of possible problems.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I would continue to monitor her weight once a week though. You can expect some fluctuation because of food intake and pooping but you can watch for steady declines as they can be a sign of possible problems.
Yes, I’ll definitely monitor her weight every week and keep taking her outside if it warms up I received the new uvb light Tom suggested so will be putting it up today.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Our new Russian was still going on a partial hunger strike in protest of his new home. We tried the cucumber methods yesterday and today, grated cucumber rubbed all over his greens. He has devoured his food both days.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Our new Russian was still going on a partial hunger strike in protest of his new home. We tried the cucumber methods yesterday and today, grated cucumber rubbed all over his greens. He has devoured his food both days.
That's great news! I've tried everything I can think of with Yoshi. I'm still confused on her problem, she's eating a tiny bit every few days. I weighed her yesterday and she weighed in at 862. The week before she was 873 and the week before that she was 864. She has a doctor's appointment on the 5th to get an x-ray and possible blood test. :-(