I need dandelion seeds that are confirmed

DPtortiose

To be honest why even bother with dandelion and other weeds that do well in more humid and colder climates?

One of reasons they are so popular is because they are very easy to grow and found in pretty much every field. If that is not the case, why not look at a species that does well on Malta? A local library is bound to have a decent book about edible local plants. Not to mention there are bound to be botanist that could give you some advice which plants do well in Malta.

Reactions: Rue

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Plenty of them do well, but I want dandelions as well. Do you mind? Besides they grow fast and strong, are perrenial, and good for my herd.
And what kind of book about edible local weeds will indicate which ones are good for tortoises?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Plenty of them do well, but I want dandelions as well. Do you mind? Besides they grow fast and strong, are perrenial, and good for my herd.
And what kind of book about edible local weeds will indicate which ones are good for tortoises?
Have a look through this list from Yvonne/Tom and see what you can get locally. Use Google if you don't know something as it may be called something different where you are

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

DPtortiose

Plenty of them do well, but I want dandelions as well. Do you mind?

I'm not sure why I would mind. I'm simply stating that this plant isn't worth the time and effort compared to the large selection of more available species.

Besides they grow fast and strong, are perrenial, and good for my herd.

Not exactly, dandelion grows fast and strong in a very different climate and are really not that fantastic of a feeder plant. It's a very convenient plant that grows very easy here in spring, but it's in no way 'better' then any other plant in a well varied diet.

The ones that state what its name is and if it's known to be toxic. If you're still unsure you can check this site: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp or you can ask in the forums. It is helpfull if you know a bit about plants from the get go though, the link I posted above gives some good insights about several aspects. It's a good place to start reading. Tortoise do generally have a good idea what's dangerous or not.

Good luck and happy foraging

Reactions: Rue