Hurricane evacuation plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
I live down south and we are often hit by hurricanes. Since it is now hurricane season it just hit me that we might have to evacuate . I don't know what to pack my russian tortoise in does anyone have any ideas

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
Tortoiselibrary.com has an emergency planning page and is a very good place to start.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
You need a ready-to-go mini enclosure! Thankfully Russians are very hardy. Your tort would be fine without lights for a little while as long as he does not get chilled. Keep him warm enough and minimize stress by trying to keep his routine/mini enclosure as similar as possible....Thankfully you wouldn't be fleeing a blizzard, so cold isn't a big threat!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Back in 2009 I had a Russian tortoise, whonews adopted by a staff member of the Houston Zoo. This was when Hurricane Ike hit, we evacuated with her and were without power for two weeks. A mini enclosure is exactly what I did too and she was fine. Sun light comes after the hurricane, so while I wasn't able to plug her light in, she got sunlight. I packed: light, spray bottle, food&water dish, hide log.

It was easy, but she was def glad when it was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.