Humid Hide Confusing

Viola B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have been reading all the threads on humid hides for Russians.
I have a 4 1/4 inches, 343 gs, 13 month old Russian. My "little" one is a "big" one.
I read when they are 4 inches they no longer need heat at night over their hide. I have the CHE set at 80 degrees, 24/7 over her hide. Does she no longer need heat over her hide? Would it be too cold at night in a humid hide? Isn't damp cold a no, no?
The ambient at night now is 70 to 74 degrees, and in winter it is 66 degrees.
Her day time temps are 80, 85 degrees going to about 70, 72 on cool side. Basking between 95, 98.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please add photos of your enclosure and Welcome to a fellow Russian owner. I assume yours is a grumpy as mine-to my Tortie I am the evil toucher and bringer of food things!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At that size your russian no longe needs heat at night nor a humid hide.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
At that size your russian no longe needs heat at night nor a humid hide.
So it is size you go by and not age. She still is growing.
Oh, and my scale was acting up. Merlina weighs 329 gs and not 343 gs.
Thank you kind lady for your help.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Please add photos of your enclosure and Welcome to a fellow Russian owner. I assume yours is a grumpy as mine-to my Tortie I am the evil toucher and bringer of food things!!
Blackdog, my Merlina is not grumpy, she is sweet and climbs up into my hand my I place it in her enclosure. I am the food God.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been reading all the threads on humid hides for Russians.
I have a 4 1/4 inches, 343 gs, 13 month old Russian. My "little" one is a "big" one.
I read when they are 4 inches they no longer need heat at night over their hide. I have the CHE set at 80 degrees, 24/7 over her hide. Does she no longer need heat over her hide? Would it be too cold at night in a humid hide? Isn't damp cold a no, no?
The ambient at night now is 70 to 74 degrees, and in winter it is 66 degrees.
Her day time temps are 80, 85 degrees going to about 70, 72 on cool side. Basking between 95, 98.
A humid hide is good for them at any age. Night heat is not needed for them at any age at the temperatures you listed. Damp cold is a no no for tropical species like leopard or sulcata tortoises. Temperate species like Russians and other Testudo live in areas with cold damp nights and mornings. The trouble would be getting them cold and damp at night, and then having them stay cold and damp all day for many days in a row, like in Seattle or the UK. Warm and sunny days with cool dewey nights are great for any of the Testudo.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
A humid hide is good for them at any age. Night heat is not needed for them at any age at the temperatures you listed. Damp cold is a no no for tropical species like leopard or sulcata tortoises. Temperate species like Russians and other Testudo live in areas with cold damp nights and mornings. The trouble would be getting them cold and damp at night, and then having them stay cold and damp all day for many days in a row, like in Seattle or the UK. Warm and sunny days with cool dewey nights are great for any of the Testudo.
Thank you. I really appreciate the help.
As long as she can get nice and warm during the day the 66 degrees in winter is okay. We live in a cold dry climate.
We live in a very cold winter climate. Our home gets down to 66 at night in winter. She lives indoors.
Now is our warmest time with a couple of weeks in the high 90's and lows in the 60's. We go out everyday for some good sunshine while we can. When we are in the 80's it is in the 50's at night. We have big swing temps.
I am so grateful for this site and the knowledge people like you are willing to share.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Blackdog, my Merlina is not grumpy, she is sweet and climbs up into my hand my I place it in her enclosure. I am the food God.
Well count me jealous. I get awesome hind leg kicks every time I pick up my Russian- no week muscle there. Baby Fed has figured out that when I lift the lid on the eclosure- indoor and out- FOOD IS HERE. I am allowed to watch that is about it. Enjoy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I really appreciate the help.
As long as she can get nice and warm during the day the 66 degrees in winter is okay. We live in a cold dry climate.
We live in a very cold winter climate. Our home gets down to 66 at night in winter. She lives indoors.
Now is our warmest time with a couple of weeks in the high 90's and lows in the 60's. We go out everyday for some good sunshine while we can. When we are in the 80's it is in the 50's at night. We have big swing temps.
I am so grateful for this site and the knowledge people like you are willing to share.
Look up temperatures in Afghanistan and Kazakhstan where these guys come from. Probably more extreme than where you are.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Well count me jealous. I get awesome hind leg kicks every time I pick up my Russian- no week muscle there. Baby Fed has figured out that when I lift the lid on the eclosure- indoor and out- FOOD IS HERE. I am allowed to watch that is about it. Enjoy
For there size Russians are very strong. They do have a great kick in those hind legs. If I pick Merlina up and set her in my hand, I don't get that kick. She doesn,t mind me watching her at all. When I soak her I get very close and she comes over and gives me a wise look with those black bead eyes!

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Look up temperatures in Afghanistan and Kazakhstan where these guys come from. Probably more extreme than where you are.
Tom, I did look up the two countries you mentioned. Very extreme.
We are at 4,700 ft elevation. Last winter we had a low of -14 with a high in the single digits. It can get colder. Winters are too long.
How cold is to cold for a Russian?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I did look up the two countries you mentioned. Very extreme.
We are at 4,700 ft elevation. Last winter we had a low of -14 with a high in the single digits. It can get colder. Winters are too long.
How cold is to cold for a Russian?
For practical purposes in our captive enclosures, I like night temps in the 60s and daytime ambient temps in the 80s. For hibernation, I've found 39 degrees to be optimal.