Howdy, folks!

Tortsymphony

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Howdy, folks!

My partner and I live in Northern CA. We’ve discussed adopting a tortoise for months and plan to do so next year, after appropriate planning. We’re planning to move into a new home and the space available will dictate the species of tortoise we will adopt.

I have been researching tortoises for a while now and have come to love their quirks. My heart skips a beat whenever I see a tortoise online or in-person now, which makes it very difficult to be patient and thoughtful about the process.

That said, I hope to be responsible and attentive tortoise owner, and that requires discipline and impulse control (daily mantra: I will not take home every tortoise I see, I will not take home every tortoise I see, etc.). For now, I content myself with online videos and pictures of tortoises and in-person zoo/pet store visits - and distract myself with lots of research to temper this bubbling/raging urge. 0_0

While I may be to too enthusiastic and kooky from time to time, the passing years have tempered me - and I take ownership of a life very seriously. My partner and I work public service type jobs so we try our best to be decent, responsible human beings.

I am excited to learn and chat more with you all!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!

You don't have to give an address but *where* in NorCal are you? Walnut Creek has a very different climate than Santa Cruz.

This is always the best place to start: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

Are you planning on buying a baby or rescuing an adult? Sulcatas are very popular as pets, but also can be a lot of work. Lots of CA Desert Tortoises need homes, and your area could be good for that depending on where you are.

Welcome aboard!

Tortsymphony

Northern California
Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!

You don't have to give an address but *where* in NorCal are you? Walnut Creek has a very different climate than Santa Cruz.

This is always the best place to start: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

Are you planning on buying a baby or rescuing an adult? Sulcatas are very popular as pets, but also can be a lot of work. Lots of CA Desert Tortoises need homes, and your area could be good for that depending on where you are.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the lovely welcome and guidance! I’ve been stalking the forum for a while now so it’s nice to interact with folks at last. 😀 My partner and I live around Sacramento.

I would prefer to adopt/rescue an adult as we’re first-time tortoise owners, and babies can be so delicate/fragile. They’re so cute (I die a little every time I see one, arghhhhhhhh) but I have to be sensible and know my limitations given the inexperience.

Frankly, I am leaning towards the hardy, smaller Testudo ones but my partner prefers the larger tortoises so he can take it on walks and stuff. Our new home will decide the size/species of our tortoise.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Boy are you in luck. Some of the most experienced owners on this site are based in that area. @Yvonne G, the Grande Doyenne of the site is near you, as are @NorCal tortoise guy and @Markw84.

You are right in the heart of things... @Yvonne G can certainly guide you on rescue information.

I would advise against taking tortoises for a walk. Works well on Instagram, but as you know "IG vs real life" is something else. those are usually Sulcatas, and are a fair bit of work...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Maybe think about a leopard tortoise. Of course, mine is great. I had herman (eastern and western) both were great. I glad you are doing your research before buying one. Also, tortoises don't do good in pairs. I'm looking forward to find out what you get. There are many reasonable breeders on the forum.

Tortsymphony

Northern California
Boy are you in luck. Some of the most experienced owners on this site are based in that area. @Yvonne G, the Grande Doyenne of the site is near you, as are @NorCal tortoise guy and @Markw84.

You are right in the heart of things... @Yvonne G can certainly guide you on rescue information.

I would advise against taking tortoises for a walk. Works well on Instagram, but as you know "IG vs real life" is something else. those are usually Sulcatas, and are a fair bit of work...
Awesome, thanks! Glad there are lots of experienced folks around to guide me.

Trust me, I am not here for the massive destruction that a giant Sulcata could cause. I think they’re fun/adorable to observe but too much of a commitment to raise. I prefer a sensible, hardy Russian male tortoise.

But…if my partner insists on a giant tortoise and we have enough space, he will be responsible for the consequences of its destruction. And I will remind him of it every chance I get. 😤 Haha, I will be sure to tease him about the Instagram stuff.

I am very open to adopting a mid-sized tortoise, like the desert, leopard, or radiated tortoise though.

Tortsymphony

Northern California
Welcome to the forum. Maybe think about a leopard tortoise. Of course, mine is great. I had herman (eastern and western) both were great. I glad you are doing your research before buying one. Also, tortoises don't do good in pairs. I'm looking forward to find out what you get. There are many reasonable breeders on the forum.
Thank you! Nice to meet you.

Leopard tortoises are so cool! I am definitely open to adopting one, if they’re available and we can provide for it adequately. I imagine they are in high demand though, right?

Oh, yes. One would be more than enough to handle and I would never want to have more. My partner has raised many pets but this will be my first one so I’m a bit more anxious/paranoid. Haha But it’s not so bad as that anxiety results in more research and planning. :]

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Just ask as many questions and get the enclosure setup. I have had my leopard for almost 17 years. He was a hatchling. I only had my desert box turtle for a little over a year. I learned so much for his care on here. I still ask questions.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thanks for the lovely welcome and guidance! I’ve been stalking the forum for a while now so it’s nice to interact with folks at last. 😀 My partner and I live around Sacramento.

I would prefer to adopt/rescue an adult as we’re first-time tortoise owners, and babies can be so delicate/fragile. They’re so cute (I die a little every time I see one, arghhhhhhhh) but I have to be sensible and know my limitations given the inexperience.

Frankly, I am leaning towards the hardy, smaller Testudo ones but my partner prefers the larger tortoises so he can take it on walks and stuff. Our new home will decide the size/species of our tortoise.
PLEASE do not take this the wrong way .... You really don't know what cha want. When entering the world of torts there is so much unknowns, especially if your doing internet searches and getting wrong info. By the way you are talking would taking in a rescue baby be better? It sounds as if your in LOVE with torts and taking on an adult is tricky. You do not know how it was raised .. Health issues? I would hate to see ya adopt an adult tort fall in love and be in the vets 1 year later for kidney failure. There is so much that can not be planned especially emotions. If I were you find a Reptile Show near you and visit to see (in person) lots of torts, not to buy this is a research trip. Get your hands on some torts see how you feel ... ya might find something you never even thought was option (based on internet searching).
I wish you all of the best luck possible and it sounds as if you might be a great tort owner. Hang around and let us know what your choice is.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
PLEASE do not take this the wrong way .... You really don't know what cha want. When entering the world of torts there is so much unknowns, especially if your doing internet searches and getting wrong info. By the way you are talking would taking in a rescue baby be better? It sounds as if your in LOVE with torts and taking on an adult is tricky. You do not know how it was raised .. Health issues? I would hate to see ya adopt an adult tort fall in love and be in the vets 1 year later for kidney failure. There is so much that can not be planned especially emotions. If I were you find a Reptile Show near you and visit to see (in person) lots of torts, not to buy this is a research trip. Get your hands on some torts see how you feel ... ya might find something you never even thought was option (based on internet searching).
I wish you all of the best luck possible and it sounds as if you might be a great tort owner. Hang around and let us know what your choice is.
Now here @EppsDynasty and I will have to agree to disagree. I think adults are much easier than babies and they are pretty hardy. So many adults including young healthy ones need homes….

But I do agree you should do lots of research with the FAQs here and find as many in person as you can so you can get a feel for different sizes and personalities for what will work best for you when you are ready

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Now here @EppsDynasty and I will have to agree to disagree. I think adults are much easier than babies and they are pretty hardy. So many adults including young healthy ones need homes….

But I do agree you should do lots of research with the FAQs here and find as many in person as you can so you can get a feel for different sizes and personalities for what will work best for you when you are ready
I won't disagree with anything but ....
sounds like they will be having this tort for a long time, might be better to have one you raised yourself. YES babies are far harder and YES there are thousands of Adults that need homes.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
Howdy, folks!

My partner and I live in Northern CA. We’ve discussed adopting a tortoise for months and plan to do so next year, after appropriate planning. We’re planning to move into a new home and the space available will dictate the species of tortoise we will adopt.

I have been researching tortoises for a while now and have come to love their quirks. My heart skips a beat whenever I see a tortoise online or in-person now, which makes it very difficult to be patient and thoughtful about the process.

That said, I hope to be responsible and attentive tortoise owner, and that requires discipline and impulse control (daily mantra: I will not take home every tortoise I see, I will not take home every tortoise I see, etc.). For now, I content myself with online videos and pictures of tortoises and in-person zoo/pet store visits - and distract myself with lots of research to temper this bubbling/raging urge. 0_0

While I may be to too enthusiastic and kooky from time to time, the passing years have tempered me - and I take ownership of a life very seriously. My partner and I work public service type jobs so we try our best to be decent, responsible human beings.

I am excited to learn and chat more with you all!
Welcome to the group that will lend you support and the best information. I am in Cameron Park outside of Sacramento so I am near you. There is a Reptile show coming up in Sacramento on April 27 and 28th. However I wouldn’t suggest you purchase a tortoise at a Reptile Show. It would be better to get one from a private, reputable breeder. There is also a Sacramento Turtle and Tortoise club that would be good to join. Some of the members rescue and rehome. I wish you all the best in your learning journey and in finding the tortoise that fits with the habitat you can offer.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Welcome to the group that will lend you support and the best information. I am in Cameron Park outside of Sacramento so I am near you. There is a Reptile show coming up in Sacramento on April 27 and 28th. However I wouldn’t suggest you purchase a tortoise at a Reptile Show. It would be better to get one from a private, reputable breeder. There is also a Sacramento Turtle and Tortoise club that would be good to join. Some of the members rescue and rehome. I wish you all the best in your learning journey and in finding the tortoise that fits with the habitat you can offer.
100% agree, the Reptile Show is just a "Show and Tell." This will give you a hands on, eyes on crash course, might spur thoughts not thought of by simply looking at pics and words on a computer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My tortoise partner, @Kapidolo Farms , is vending at that show. He'll be bringing a bunch of leopard hatchlings. He's shown a video of them on Facebook. AND, he raises them the right way, in a closed chamber with plenty of humidity.

Besides a hatchling, a very good choice for a beginner's first tortoise is a Russian. This is a hardy, interesting little tortoise and they are more acceptable of poor care while the newbie is learning the ropes.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Instead of focusing strongly on a species based on what it it looks like or size, etc. You might consider what your routine will be? Small Testudo species hibernate and while for some people a nerve wracking time, other keepers see it as a break from daily care. Some species are really good at using night houses when they are 'outside' big, while others need many many episodes of showing them their nighthouse. Are you thinking it will mostly graze from the plants in the enclosure or are you thinking the grocery store for most foods?

Indoor enclosures require a certain level of technical knowledge of light, heat, and humidity management. Outside there is a concern for local potential predators.

I'm not suggesting you have indicated such, but it's all much more than an enclosure and throw in a few leaves of romaine every other day. Though you may find mixed methods here on TFO from one keeper to the next, I'd argue that is an artifact of unstated variables from one location to the next, many folks here are pretty good at their species in their location.

Around Sacramento is still pretty vague. Sierra foothills to the delta are around Sacramento and will require different considerations.

But like a swimming pool, you can walk around, dip you toe in, see how others are reacting, or just walk down the steps or ladder and get yourself in there to learn about yourself and your propensity to swim.

Tortsymphony

Northern California
Instead of focusing strongly on a species based on what it it looks like or size, etc. You might consider what your routine will be? Small Testudo species hibernate and while for some people a nerve wracking time, other keepers see it as a break from daily care. Some species are really good at using night houses when they are 'outside' big, while others need many many episodes of showing them their nighthouse. Are you thinking it will mostly graze from the plants in the enclosure or are you thinking the grocery store for most foods?

Indoor enclosures require a certain level of technical knowledge of light, heat, and humidity management. Outside there is a concern for local potential predators.

I'm not suggesting you have indicated such, but it's all much more than an enclosure and throw in a few leaves of romaine every other day. Though you may find mixed methods here on TFO from one keeper to the next, I'd argue that is an artifact of unstated variables from one location to the next, many folks here are pretty good at their species in their location.

Around Sacramento is still pretty vague. Sierra foothills to the delta are around Sacramento and will require different considerations.

But like a swimming pool, you can walk around, dip you toe in, see how others are reacting, or just walk down the steps or ladder and get yourself in there to learn about yourself and your propensity to swim.
Thanks for the insights!

It mostly depends on the house that we’ll buy and what it can offer the tortoise (will there be a yard? How spacious?) In the meantime, I am enjoying the research process on different species and hearing from more experienced tortoise owners. I prefer a smaller species that brumates/hibernates, but am open since there are so many variables as you mentioned.

I’d like to attend the Sacramento Reptile Show and would love to see your exhibit/table. Are you going to be there on both days? I heard you will have leopard tortoises. 😍

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Thanks for the insights!

It mostly depends on the house that we’ll buy and what it can offer the tortoise (will there be a yard? How spacious?) In the meantime, I am enjoying the research process on different species and hearing from more experienced tortoise owners. I prefer a smaller species that brumates/hibernates, but am open since there are so many variables as you mentioned.

I’d like to attend the Sacramento Reptile Show and would love to see your exhibit/table. Are you going to be there on both days? I heard you will have leopard tortoises. 😍
Yeah, both days. No re[prile show promoters will allow sellers to pull out early.