How to get tree sap off of tortoise shell?

Sixx_and_Rosie

IMG_3846.PNG Hey guys, I noticed my red foot has some tree sap on her shell from her log hide and I'm not sure how to get that off of there. It's been about a month; I hoped it would wear off on its own but it doesn't seem to budge. If I scrape at it a bit, it will come off on my fingers so I know for sure that it's tree sap. Would dawn soap and a toothbrush get it off? I know tortoises can absorb things through their shell in a sense, so I don't want to use anything that could hurt her. Any tips??

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
I used to trim trees for a living. Hence i know that vegetable oil dissolves pitch if left on for a few minutes.

Sixx_and_Rosie

I used to trim trees for a living. Hence i know that vegetable oil dissolves pitch if left on for a few minutes.
Okay, I may try that tomorrow. Should I be worried about the oil clogging the pores in her shell? Maybe that's a silly question; I just want to be sure! Thanks for the reply!

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
No, some people even oil their torts. Just use an edible oil. I presume coconut oil would work.
Wipe off the goop after a few minutes.

Cute tort, BTW.

Sixx_and_Rosie

No, some people even oil their torts. Just use an edible oil. I presume coconut oil would work.
Wipe off the goop after a few minutes.

Cute tort, BTW.

Thank you! She is definitely a blessing.
Also, I tried vegetable oil on her shell and the sap came off for the most part! I may have to try again in a few days just to get the remainder off. I think it was just so thick on there that it may take a few tries. Thanks again for the information