How much hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Well winter is coming and the hay is moving quickly here. Just wondering how much hay a tort will eat/use in a week/month? Its a 50lb tort. Wanted to stockpile here in soon. I can get bales any where from $1-$3. Is Clover ok for torts?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Depending on if ift even likes hay in the first place...your qty is going to vary...You're going to need to spot clean daily, and change out the hay completely every two weeks. Also, don't let fly droppings accumulate on your electric lines...you know heat lamps, etc...also make sure your heat source is not going to ignite your hay...typically I'd say 2-3 flakes a week (for 1 animal bedding and feed). Clover is ok, but you really want to go with Bermuda, Timothy or Orchard...these are the BEST.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would be a little leery of using clover hay or sudan hay. Both of these are toxic if allowed to mold (and frequently there is mold inside a bale).

If your tortoise will accept hay as a food item, then you would only give him a very small flake (a "flake" is the amount that breaks apart easily). He will eat some, and mess the rest up. You would replace it with another flake when the first one looks like he's finished with it. Don't spread it around, just put the whole flake in one spot. He'll be the one to spread it around.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
by flake do you mean bale? As in a rectangle of loose hay? I got grass hay, just wondering about clover since some hays are mixed depending on the field. The previous owner got him from a lady who was feeding him peas and carrots, hes got a bit of pyramiding going on but not the worst. He said he's been feeding him hay so hopefully that doesnt change.

Does the entire enclosure need to be covered with hay for bedding? Im guessing not and the tort will move it where he pleases.

Heres a couple pictures of him inside while im finishing his enclosure

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/borjawil/

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A flake is a small portion of the bale (it essentially breaks off the bale very easily), and any reputable feed store/warehouse will sell by the flake, as well. The pyramiding is classic...excessive but not so bad that it will lead to MBD. This is obviously permanent, but with proper diet, heat and humidity, you can sustain it the way it is...doesn't need to get any worse.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you buy a bale, a "flake" is a small section that breaks off easily. I keep the rest of my bale put away, the only part I leave is the part he likes to smosh around in. If you simply pull off a section "flake" it will break off, you don't cover the whole floor as he will just poop and pee in it ruining it for eating. Just put some in the spot where he normally eats...
My Bob is about 80 pounds and he goes thru 3/4 of a bale thru the winter supplemented with Mazuri and some greens

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
borjawil said:
by flake do you mean bale? As in a rectangle of loose hay?

No, like I said, a flake is the small amount the breaks away from the whole bale easily. Like about 3 or 4 inches off one end of the whole bale.

I know that pyramiding is not something to be desired, but I have to admit, that first picture is just beautiful. The design on that carapace is so very pretty. He could use a bigger box, too.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
ah i see. Well that makes sense. Thanks for all the help! How much does a big guy eat a day? If they are kept in an enclosure for most of the day- when it snows- how much should i feed em since theres no grass for grazing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just keep a flake available all the time and let them eat it at will. How fast they eat it depends on how much other stuff they are getting, the weather, the season, their mood, etc... Usually, I'll get a week or so out of a good size flake.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Hah i know he tried stuffing himself in there and fell asleep. Didnt wanna disturb him. Thanks for all the help too!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
where do you get a bale of hay for $1 $3?!??! i have to pay at least $8 per bale about 90#, at out feed dealer.. and that is grassy hay.. but the real good stuff.. is more like $12 per bale.. or more.. are you sure you are looking at the right stuff? Even the bagged stuff at WAlmart is more then $3...
If your guy is used to eating hay and actually eats it.. you are lucky. .. I wish mine eat it better.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
I havent seen him eat any yet but it seems to have disappeared and what im pretty sure was a turd was basically hay. the Bales I got were only about 40#. But I can get a round bale 4x4 500# for $30.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Laura said:
where do you get a bale of hay for $1 $3?!??! i have to pay at least $8 per bale about 90#, at out feed dealer.. and that is grassy hay.. but the real good stuff.. is more like $12 per bale.. or more.. are you sure you are looking at the right stuff? Even the bagged stuff at WAlmart is more then $3...
If your guy is used to eating hay and actually eats it.. you are lucky. .. I wish mine eat it better.

If you're using hay for feed only...try soaking it for a half an hour or so...even the pickiest feeders can't resist moistened hay...again this is only for feeding! Don't moisten hay that's intended for bedding! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.