How is my red foot's shell? Am i overfeeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tertle

5 Year Member
Hello tf!

I notice that the space between the scutes are growing large, is This normal or am I overfeeding the little guy? First pic was a few weeks back.

Attachments

• image-3497291210.png
    image-3497291210.png
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image-194190012.png
    image-194190012.png
    851.3 KB · Views: 145
  • image-858436632.png
    image-858436632.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 112

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
When you see bulges of flesh sticking out of the shell, and the tortoise is noticable larger than the shell, itself, it's over-fed...

obesity_2.jpg

OTOH, this rarely happens and almost never to an outside tortoise, as they get exercise by wandering around their environment.

It's very difficult to over-feed a tortoise, but not difficult, at all, to feed the wrong portions of things.

You'rs looks good.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is a nice, smooth shell, but something does not look quite right with it. Can you share your usual diet with us?

tertle

5 Year Member
thanks for the picture reference terry!

Madkins007 said:
It is a nice, smooth shell, but something does not look quite right with it. Can you share your usual diet with us?

I'm most worried about the thick lighter border around each darker scute, it looks like the border is a tad too thick compared to when i first got him a few weeks back no? It hasn't been a month since ive had him yet...

diet is fresh spring mix everyday, as much as i can pile onto a jam jar lid...

every other day is supplemented with fruits

once a week i give him a piece of meat or something, about the size of his head

and randomly i give him different vegetables, greens and wild stuff from outside...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Do you supplement with calcium? Spring mix is not terrible, but really benefits from added calcium and fiber. (I have a formula that may help at https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/diet-plans )

Depending on what fruits are being offered, and how much, it may be getting too many carbs in the form of sugars. Try using lower sugar fruits like squash, pumpkin, bell pepper (especially red and yellow), cherries, etc. AND using less of them overall.

Understand- I am not really worried about what I am seeing, but the wide growth lines bother me just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.