How can you tell when a tortoise is ready to mate with someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Some of the most experienced breeders might know more, but do you mean at what age? It depends on the type of tortoise

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
tortuga_please said:
Some of the most experienced breeders might know more, but do you mean at what age? It depends on the type of tortoise

I always wondered because i have a female russian, and I honestly dont know her age. But I've felt bad that she lives alone haha

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Russians are very tricky to breed, the males can be EXTREMELY aggressive and can seriously injure the females. That's actually why I don't breed them or know much about breeding them, but if you ask in the Russian section you might get better help :-D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
ready to mate with someone?

Alright so I am the only one that thought that part was fun.....

Alot of the time, in captivity, tortoise age does not dictate mating...but rather size....and this size is based on individual species of tortoise... Russians, in captivity females can be ready at about 6+ inches and males at about 5+ inches (some males will go to town and try at as little as 4 inches but likely not able to actually produce until near 5 + inches).

Also as previously advised this species of tortoise can be even more aggressive than others during courting/mating....so care should be taken when exposing the female to a male for this purpose...as well as you should be prepared to incubate and/or decide to not be involved at all---all naturale.

Yes, there are others on this forum that have had extensive experience with this species...I would suggest you wait around a bit to get further information....

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I do remember that it's safer if the females outnumber the male and he is only introduced for breeding, but that's all I remember :-/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to consider is that tortoises are solitary by nature and do not seek out other tortoises for "company." They prefer to live alone so they don't have to compete for the best hiding place or for the food. They DO come together for breeding, however, its not necessary to allow them to breed in order to have a happy, healthy tortoise.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Don't know about Russians... But Sulcatas are usually ready by 14 inches but I've found it to be even larger than that. 6 years ish but it depends on size more than anything!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortuga_please said:
I do remember that it's safer if the females outnumber the males
That's how I prefer it.

A male of appropriate size should be ready and willing to mate 24/7
Of course some species require or like certain environmental factors, like a nice rain shower.

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
Thanks for the information, I was wondering is it even necessary for her to mate?? I personally would rather leave her alone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To answer your question, it is not necessary to mate (like a biological imperative) so she won't suffer any ill effects from not mating.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
To answer your question, it is not necessary to mate (like a biological imperative) so she won't suffer any ill effects from not mating.

If a female has never mated, will she still lay sterile eggs, or will she become egg-bound?

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
dmmj said:

Awesome maybe someday in the future I'll consider breeding but not for a long time. Thank you for all your responses

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
philthyturtle said:
How can you tell when a tortoise is ready to mate with someone?

Well, the males are always ready!
A female might start ramming the male if she's ready, but other than that I don't think I've read about any other specific signs.

My greek females will ram each other, or a head of lettuce sometimes, but I think it's just dominance behavior. I've never actually seen one of my females ram one of the males.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.