How Big Is the Biggest Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I have several Russian Tortoises and my biggest female is 7.25 inches SCL. I am sure she is not the biggest Russian out there as I have heard of some in AZ that are nearly 10 inches and Bert Langerwarf (God rest his soul) once told me they can get to 11 inches (see link). So just curious to see if any really really big ones are out there some where....

Lynn

http://www.agamainternational.com/pages/russian_tortoise.htm

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes supposedly T.h.rustamovi does get to 11" (28cm), I've never seen or heard of a Russian that big though.
The biggest I've heard of are the 2 in Peter Prichard's book Encylopedia of Turtles. They were grown by **** Goergen (still around and breeding tortoises) in the late 60's/early 70's. They got to be 9 5/8" and 9 3/4".
Those are the 2 biggest Russians I have ever heard of.
My biggest female is a bit over 7".

Danny

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
egyptiandan said:
Yes supposedly T.h.rustamovi does get to 11" (28cm), I've never seen or heard of a Russian that big.
The biggest I've heard of are the 2 in Peter Prichard's book Encylopedia of Turtles. They were grown by **** Goergen (still around and breeding tortoises) in the late 60's/early 70's. They got to be 9 5/8" and 9 3/4".
Those are the 2 biggest Russians I have ever heard of.
My biggest female is a bit over 7".

Danny

I got into a discussion last week with a guy who lectured me that my greek was going to grow to about 24" long. I just let him ramble on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
BigBiscuit said:
I got into a discussion last week with a guy who lectured me that my greek was going to grow to about 24" long. I just let him ramble on.

I'd be almost willing to bet that he was mixing up the "spur thigh" issue. Your know...African spur thigh as opposed to Mediterranean spur thigh?

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That's as big as she'll get Stace. :D

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hehehe thanks Dan :)
I'm gonna steal my bosses ruler now to measure her tonight at home, as we don't have a ruler at home lol! Thanks, sorry for hijacking!

Oh and last hijack, promise :) What would her diameter be, 6 or 7nches by what in width? Fanx :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Bad Stace :p

My biggest female Jordanian is 6 1/2"L by almost 4 1/2"W

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.