Hotter than Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
It is 103 right now with very low humidity, so it feels more like 110. I moved Gypsy inside today, so that I could control the humidity and try to make him feel a little more comfortable. How is the weather everywhere else?

Q: Is it safe to leave him outside when the weather is like that? He had shade, his hide and water.

Cherryhead RF = Gypsy

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yes! Leave him outside...and spray him every hour or so! Your conditions sound ideal...and they know to get out of the sun.:tort:

LindaF

5 Year Member
My little red foot is surviving the Texas heat here in Dallas. Last summer was the first year we had him and I worried about it getting too hot. I always kept him provided with a water dish he could get in and out of, a hide filled with damp moss, and a muddy place. He did just fine. He would be active in the morning and evening and other times he stayed in his hide. He also loved being out when the sprinklers were running. As long as he is not in direct sun all day and can hide in the shade he should be good. Perhaps other Texas owners will chime in. Mine loves being out. He thinks he is a wild tort.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, thanks. I will move him back outside in a bit. I was concerned that the humidity was too low. It is around 40%. I guess in outdoor conditions that doesn't matter as much as it does when he is inside, is that correct? I will continue the misting, to keep him hydrated. Before I moved him in, he was burrowed in the corner of his hide. Guess that was a cool spot for him. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Conditions still matter, but the thing is that tortoises are the masters of microhabitats. If you take a temp gun and a humidity gauge out their, I think you would be surprised at how much cooler and more humid it is in places like under broadleaf plants, in a shaded mud wallow, in some loosely dug up soil, etc.

Offer as many microclimates as you can and they will be fine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I thought this title applied to me, but then I saw it was weather related :(
With shade and water it should be fine, just make sure it has got a lot of shade, so it can cool off.
The shade under a tree can be as much as 30 degrees cooler than not under it.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
dmmj, well it could apply to you if you look like your avatar!!! Or better yet how bout a real pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.