Hoping to be a new tortoise ? keeper (indoor enclosures??)

Charlie2020

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich
Hello all! I need advice please about indoor enclosures. What does everyone do? We’ve a super outdoor space...and I’m ok about hibernation...it’s the other time...how does everyone accommodate their tortoise???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It depends upon the age/size of the tortoise. I keep my babies in closed enclosures so I can monitor the humidity:

Vision Cage a.jpg

And if I have to keep a grown tortoise indoors for whatever reason, I keep them on the carport in a cement dog house-like enclosure:

cinder block enclosure 10-19-16 a.jpg

Otherwise, all my tortoises live outside. Much easier to provide them the area they need for grazing and wandering:

Desert & Texas tort yards 3-10-14.jpgDrip in Aldab a.jpgDudley's track 10-8-14.jpgenclosures 6-14-11 a.jpgenclosures 6-14-11 e.jpgEnclosures leopard.jpgEnclosures Russian.jpgEnclosures Sulcata.jpgEnclosures Texas.jpg

Attachments

• Enclosures CDT.jpg
    Enclosures CDT.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Charlie2020

Norwich
It depends upon the age/size of the tortoise. I keep my babies in closed enclosures so I can monitor the humidity:

View attachment 303898

And if I have to keep a grown tortoise indoors for whatever reason, I keep them on the carport in a cement dog house-like enclosure:

View attachment 303899

Otherwise, all my tortoises live outside. Much easier to provide them the area they need for grazing and wandering:

View attachment 303900View attachment 303901View attachment 303902View attachment 303903View attachment 303904View attachment 303906View attachment 303907View attachment 303908View attachment 303909

Charlie2020

Norwich
Ah, thank you for going to all the effort of posting photos. Your enclosures look amazing.
QUOTE="Yvonne G, post: 1859436, member: 398"]

View attachment 303898

View attachment 303899

View attachment 303900View attachment 303901View attachment 303902View attachment 303903View attachment 303904View attachment 303906View attachment 303907View attachment 303908View attachment 303909
[/QUOTE]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Charlie2020

Norwich
It's in my basement. It still gets kind of cold down there but the box is insulated and heated.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I’m trying to get my head around where I could have an “indoor” enclosure...this helps. I don’t have a basement...but it’s great to hear the different options.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's in my basement. It still gets kind of cold down there but the box is insulated and heated.
Thanks. I’m trying to get my head around where I could have an “indoor” enclosure...this helps. I don’t have a basement...but it’s great to hear the different options.
[/QUOTE]
Some people with limited space do multi level enclosures to maximize floor space. Like 2 levels with a ramp to go from one to another. Just another idea for your.

Charlie2020

Norwich
Some people with limited space do multi level enclosures to maximize floor space. Like 2 levels with a ramp to go from one to another. Just another idea for your.
[/QUOTE] Ooh ?, that’s clever. Same floor space for the torty! I like it! Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! I need advice please about indoor enclosures. What does everyone do? We’ve a super outdoor space...and I’m ok about hibernation...it’s the other time...how does everyone accommodate their tortoise???
Depends on the species. Since you are talking about hibernation, I'll guess you mean one of the Testudo species. Here is the care info for them. Indoor and outdoor housing is explained.

Charlie2020

Norwich
Depends on the species. Since you are talking about hibernation, I'll guess you mean one of the Testudo species. Here is the care info for them. Indoor and outdoor housing is explained.
Species is probably a Russian, is it called a Hermann?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species is probably a Russian, is it called a Hermann?
Hermanni and Russians are two different species. Both come from temperate regions of the world and care is the same. A little more humidity for hermanni is probably appropriate, but not critical.

Charlie2020

Norwich
Ahh, thank you. Horsfield/Russian was what I was trying to remember. Thanks though. I do hugely appreciate any advice or feedback. Just learning :)
QUOTE="Tom, post: 1860144, member: 3441"]
Hermanni and Russians are two different species. Both come from temperate regions of the world and care is the same. A little more humidity for hermanni is probably appropriate, but not critical.
[/QUOTE]

ManAlive85

London UK

I’m UK based too and keep my tortoise indoors all year round with the odd trip out on sunny days. As I live in a smallish flat I’ve gone for an enclosure that maintains the right conditions but also looks good in my living room.

11F1FF79-9BF2-4190-A907-4A84198860C7.jpeg

It‘ll only do for a year or two but, as Toddrick says, I have the option to convert it into a duplex.

Charlie2020

Norwich
Thanks. That looks pretty smart! We put together a large outdoor area and I was kind of thinking a tortoise would be good outside for the majority of the time. However, as I learn more about keeping a tortoise I understand they’ll need some space indoors too, before and after hibernation. All ideas are welcome. Thanks for getting in touch. ?QUOTE="ManAlive85, post: 1860243, member: 119985"]
I’m UK based too and keep my tortoise indoors all year round with the odd trip out on sunny days. As I live in a smallish flat I’ve gone for an enclosure that maintains the right conditions but also looks good in my living room.

View attachment 304069

It‘ll only do for a year or two but, as Toddrick says, I have the option to convert it into a duplex.
[/QUOTE]