HOLY BEE-JEEPERS!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok .. so the last few days I have noticed a few bees that are drinking out of the tortoises' water dish out back in the Cove' ....needless to say last night look what I found out front! ..
A HuMunGo Bee's nest ....only about 6' up in one of the shrub trees.
Anyone a bee keeper or know of anyone in the Orange/Whittier Area who wants this nest? .....it's easy to get to - ...I would hate to kill them ...:(

" They are Honey Bee's no Doubt "
:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Do they normally swarm this time of year in your area?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Yikes!!!

You sending them my way?
8fm9.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They will split off to find a new home if a keeper did not keep them happy. They will move on in a day or two if you let them be . But keep a eye out . If they desire they will build there new home in one of your tort houses or your home . Put out a bee hive and get you some free honey .:D:D:D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Lol if I lived closer I'd help you out! :)

In new England, if a hive swarms this late, both the remaining hive and the swarm are done for, way too cold!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Pokeymeg said:

In new England, if a hive swarms this late, both the remaining hive and the swarm are done for, way too cold!

I was wondering, if they would survive, but then that is CA.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
immayo said:
Yikes!!!

You sending them my way?
8fm9.jpg

Great picture Whit' ...! ......awesome looking tort I might add! ;)

mike taylor said:
They will split off to find a new home if a keeper did not keep them happy. They will move on in a day or two if you let them be . But keep a eye out . If they desire they will build there new home in one of your tort houses or your home . Put out a bee hive and get you some free honey .:D:D:D

I dunno Mike ..... they have a huge Honey combe already going on , as I was able to sneak up on it today in the daylight and check it out while alot of the bees were out "working" ..:rolleyes:

Pokeymeg said:

Poke me too .....and honest in all the years of being a nature freak, this by far is the largest free hanging Hive I have seen ....:rolleyes:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
If I'm not mistaken you can call and pay someone to safely remove the hive and take it to a bee farm. They should pay you, but all would be happy! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
N2TORTS said:
Pokeymeg said:

Poke me too .....and honest in all the years of being a nature freak, this by far is the largest free hanging Hive I have seen ....:rolleyes:

That looks like a swarm of ~30,000 bees. Some poor beekeeper is missing a big chunk of a hive! But, they should be gone soon. They've got scout bees out looking for a proper home and hopefully you won't have to remove them on your own! That's a tricky looking spot they've found...I don't know if a local beekeeper could safely remove them.

immayo said:
Yikes!!!

You sending them my way?
8fm9.jpg

What a gorgeous picture!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: HOLY BEE-JEEPERS!

N2TORTS said:
immayo said:
Yikes!!!

You sending them my way?
8fm9.jpg

Great picture Whit' ...! ......awesome looking tort I might add! ;)

mike taylor said:

I dunno Mike ..... they have a huge Honey combe already going on , as I was able to sneak up on it today in the daylight and check it out while alot of the bees were out "working" ..:rolleyes:

Pokeymeg said:

Thats not normal for them to build a hive out in the open but it does happen. Please don't kill them . Call a pest control company they will find someone to remove them . If that does not work try to find a local bee keeper . They are the ones who sells local honey . Most will remove them for free . But like SI Robertson said honey out in the open its a trap .ha ha Beeee careful they could be the Afercanized bees that attack.But like Phil Robertson said bees are like talking to women you got to blow a little smoke .