Hibernation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, I just got a new tort book and it puts hibernation in such simple terms. It does state that even if you haven't over wintered your turtle in years, you should. My Russians, (that I have had for many years) have never been properly overwintered. I think I am ready to do it. They have gone a bit dormant for 2 months, but even though my house is on the cold side, it's not that cold.
My question, what has anyone here used for a box? They recommend a box you build, with the wood sides having some space between them for air circulation. I thought about a large tupperware container, with slots cut in? But I have this WONDERFUL site to ask questions!! Thanks for any input.
Nadine

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay said:
Hi there, I just got a new tort book and it puts hibernation in such simple terms. It does state that even if you haven't over wintered your turtle in years, you should. My Russians, (that I have had for many years) have never been properly overwintered. I think I am ready to do it. They have gone a bit dormant for 2 months, but even though my house is on the cold side, it's not that cold.
My question, what has anyone here used for a box? They recommend a box you build, with the wood sides having some space between them for air circulation. I thought about a large tupperware container, with slots cut in? But I have this WONDERFUL site to ask questions!! Thanks for any input.
Nadine

Hi Nadine,
I have never used the box method,i use the fridge.With you having Russian torts,I've heard people say that they take a little longer than med species to settle down in hibernation.You need a box,inside another box i think.You need to make sure you have a temperature of about 5 degrees for the torts to hibernate.Dont let the temps drop much more below this and no higher than 7 degrees.Expect to hear the torts scratching down for a few days,but make sure you weigh and check your torts during hibernation.Good luck.

Julie (UK)

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
You should hibernate your tortoises and various turtles.
As it does them good, however you do not have to hibernate for the full 8-9 months as they would in the wild.
And only be awake for 4 or 5 months of the year.

Most tortoises such as hermanns, russians, greeks and even leopards will benifit from as little as 8 weeks a year for hibernation.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
T-P said:
You should hibernate your tortoises and various turtles.
As it does them good, however you do not have to hibernate for the full 8-9 months as they would in the wild.
And only be awake for 4 or 5 months of the year.

Most tortoises such as hermanns, russians, greeks and even leopards will benifit from as little as 8 weeks a year for hibernation.

Sorry,you are incorrect T-P.Leopard torts do not hibernate!

Julie

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi there again, I do appreciate the replys, Maybe I should've phrased things better. I am really ready to hibernate my Russians, Just am curious about what to use as a box and bedding? Thanks Nadine

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay said:
Hi there again, I do appreciate the replys, Maybe I should've phrased things better. I am really ready to hibernate my Russians, Just am curious about what to use as a box and bedding? Thanks Nadine
Hi Nadine,
I would use a plastic storage box as Russians can take a few days to settle down into hibernation and can scratch their way out of cardboard boxes.I use Hemp/Auboise in my hibernation boxes,but you can also use 50/50 mix of untreated garden soil and *childrens* playsand.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Where have you decided to hibernate them at? A garage?

Am always curious as to what was the deciding factor on hibernating them for you? It is such a debated area with good reasons for and against doing it. I know I myself kinda happen to be in the middle of the road and do hibernate some but not all of the species I own which would naturally hibernate.

A friend of mine who has Russians wrote this paper on how she does her hibernating. Might give you some ideas:

http://russiantortoise.net/hibernation_journey.htm

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi and thank you for the replys! The link to the article was great. The reason I may have changed my mind was buying a $7.99 turtle book(to add yet another) when I was at the pet store browsing. It was a Barrows book and had some really nice pictures of different species and for some reason simplified the hibernation process(hitting all of what the link talked about) It's not to say it said it was simple, by any means, it just said it in such a way. OR quite possibly maybe I was just ready to hear it in simple terms. BUT I still am nervous. And that link said it wonderfully. Thanks again NAdine

B

Bansh88

I had a Russian a few years ago before adopting huim out. He hibernated on his own. He burrowed himself into the dirt a few inches and stayed there until spring.
I recently put my 2 Desert Tortoises into hibernation. I used large plastic storage bins. I lined them with a towel and put shredded newspaper over them. I leave them in a guest room at my parents, upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.