hi. new member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingrid Weekes

5 Year Member
I have 3 tortoises (rescued from Moroccan souks). Abdul, Mustafa and Fatima have lived happily in an enclosure in my garden (in Southern Spain) for 8+years. The female lays and buries eggs every 10months or so and I don't interfere, hoping nature will take its course. Evidently they are not fertile as I find them (whole and with yolks inside) months and months later when doing a major cleanout of their compound. Should I remove and incubate them in the compound mix you reccommend?.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ingrid:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I should think that leaving them in the ground would be the best option.

I'd love to see pictures of your tortoises and their garden.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Hi Ingrid, I too live in the south of Spain,probably further up the coast from you! I have a Spanish neighbour who has some tortoises and his female lays her eggs in the pen,buried and they then hatch so maybe yours aren't fertile? I should imagine that if they're not hatching when the female buries them, they're not going to hatch in an incubator.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to this great place, I am fairly new also and this place has been wonderful! Glad you are hear!

Ingrid Weekes

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Ingrid:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I should think that leaving them in the ground would be the best option.

I'd love to see pictures of your tortoises and their garden.

Thanks for your replies everyone - I will leave the eggs in peace and hope for the best. Sending pic as requested, it was taken a few weeks ago before i lost one of my beloved tots.

Attachments

• our babies.JPG
    our babies.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.