Hi, new here

SusansZoo

Franklin having buffet garden.jpgHello tortoise peeps! Just joined and wanted to say Hi and do a quick intro. I've had desert tortoises all my life and I'm not young :rolleyes:

I came to this group to research my Franklin's situation to see if it was common to desert tortoises this winter- not hibernating properly. Crazy winter here in parched SoCal. I'm worrying about that. He came to the opening of his house yesterday and just stayed looking out for hours. I watered the grasses around his house and finally he returned inside.

Anyway, after reading a bit, looks like it is not so unusual this year.

Nice to meet y'all, glad to find the forum!

Susan

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hello! Glad you have joined us. Just how old is Franklin?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Susan. Welcome.

Yep. Another 80 degree weird winter for us. Good tropical tortoise weather, but bad weed growing weather...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susan:

Welcome to the Forum!

My desert tortoise pen has a mulberry tree, a Oklahoma red bud and a flowering pear, so in the fall there are lots and lots of leaves in their pen.

The desert tortoise house it on cement, and up slightly off the ground, so it is dry and secure.

When all the leaves have fallen, and after all the tortoises are inside their house, I rake up all the leaves and pile them over the tortoise house.

Even though it has be a very mild winter...well, at least during the days - at night it still dips down into the 30'sF...because there are so many leaves on the house, it stays pretty cold inside there and the tortoises are still sound asleep.

01-28-14_zps1f5c706b.jpg