Hi! I'm new here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupdoglover99

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I'm new here to tortoise forum. I don't actually have a tortoise yet... I want to get one, though!

I'm not completely new to reptiles- actually, I have a Alligator Snapping Turtle (6 years), a Map turtle (2 years), and a RES (1 year). I decided to move on to tortoises, and I was wondering which breed is best for me. I want a medium sized tortoise (so no hermanns tortoise or a horsefield). I was looking at greek tortoises and everything, but then I saw these beautiful Star and Leopard tortoises, and their shell pattern was just unbelievable! I know that I shouldn't get a Star or Leopard (not for beginners!)... so please help me!
I also have a garden and it is big enough to hold a red foot tortoise and everything.

Sincerely, pupdoglover99:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I think a Greek or a Russian would be good if you want a medium size tortoise...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi pupdoglover99:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Greeks are not going to get too much larger than Russians. I think you would do just fine with a Leo or Sri Lankan Star, provided you do plenty of homework first. I was SOOOO nervous when I got my first Star, afraid that I was going to do something wrong and it was going to die, and I have been keeping torts for 18 years! But, I found that they are just as easy to care for as any of my others.

Another idea would be a Redfoot. They are also easy to care for once you get the basics down.

Here is a link to my article for beginners. Give it a read and maybe it will give you a few ideas, there are some short species profiles in there too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1TmlmFPpU

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome! Do you have any pics of your turtles? I would love to see a pic of your alligator snapper! :)

pupdoglover99

5 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I live in Beijing (China)- where there are a lot of trees though. My name's Annabelle.
jeffbens0n- Sorry, i don't have any pics of my alligator, since they always come out blurry- he keeps on snapping at me, and its hard to keep my hand steady.
Ok, so now that i know that Star tortoises aren't too hard to take care of, i feel so relieved! I want one so bad, but I'm also afraid of doing something wrong and making it sick..... :(
I think I'm either going to get a Greek tortoise (Ibera) or a Star tortoise, (maybe I should even consider a red foot) once I've done enough research.
Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
You will also have to take into account what tortoise you could aquire in china, would you buy it in country, or have it shipped to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.