Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
:tort:
Hello,
Newbie here, I have a sulcata tortoise. She is a yearling. She is housed outdoors. I live in Arizona, where the sun shines all the time...lol... she eats Mazuri pellets, kale, spinich, domain. I soak her every other day. So far she seems to be happy. The only thing I worry about is she hides a lot. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Your diet could use some improvement. Their main food should be grasses and weeds. The things you are feeding are okay once in a while, but I wouldn't make any of them part of the main diet, except the Mazuri. I like to feed Mazuri a couple of times a week. Spinach is high in oxalates, romaine has very little nutrition and it's too wet, etc... You can look for spineless opuntia pads, grape leaves, mulberry leaves and there are tons of places to get seed mixes from so you can grow your own grasses in trays or in the ground, though I know what a challenge this is in AZ. Chopped and rehydrated grass hay might be an easier option for you.

If you post some pics of your enclosure, we might have some suggestions for you. The easiest way to do this is to go to tinypic.com and upload any size photo. Then simply copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Was she temped sexed for female? Females are often more reserved, but this varies some.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi mainey34:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
sorry, you can call me mainey if you like. thank you for the advise tom. i appreciate anything at this point. i have planted grass. she was not sexed. we were just hopeing that she was a female. i will try to post pics. thank you again

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I also have another question. I also have been giving her zoo Med. Natural. Grassland tortoise food. I put timothy hay down for bedding. Still working on pics. Please give thoughts..thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.