Help very worried!

Rebbes

Hi everyone, I'm very worried about my baby tortoise Ralph, I was told he is 1/1 and a half by the pet shop that I got him from 5 days ago. I'm worried his behaviour isn't normal because he never goes to eat unless I incourage him by placing him next to his food then he will start "eating the air" he can't seem to get his food at all! I have to hand feed him and even then I have to place the food into his mouth while he is "eating the air". I'm worried he might be blind? I do have a video so u could all see for yourself but I'm unsure how to post it. Please help as I'm sure this is not normal behaviour and I'm worried. Thanks

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Hi and Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about these issues. I'm judging from the profile picture its a Russian. Please tell us more about the lighting, temps and enclosure and post a few pictures.

Rebbes

I'll try and post pictures ( I'm not very good at this).All of this was advised from the pet shop.... I hope it's right for him. Thanks IMG_3789.PNG

Rebbes

Again sorry The temps in the backing area is 95 F and in the cooler end 72 F. I do have a heat lamp for night time as u can see..... the other is like a heat and uv in one. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Baby tortoises sometimes have trouble getting both their eyes coordinated so that they only see one picture. They sometimes see a different picture with each eye, and so don't really know exactly where the food is. This gets better with age. In the meantime, you can help him by cutting up his food into tiny bites and placing it in a pile up against a wall so it can't get away from him. Then place him so that his head is touching the pile.

Rebbes

Oh that's good news! I was worried because I've seen much younger baby tortoise's eating fine so I thought something must be wrong! So you wouldn't worry to much at the moment then? Thanks

Rebbes

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Baby tortoises sometimes have trouble getting both their eyes coordinated so that they only see one picture. They sometimes see a different picture with each eye, and so don't really know exactly where the food is. This gets better with age. In the meantime, you can help him by cutting up his food into tiny bites and placing it in a pile up against a wall so it can't get away from him. Then place him so that his head is touching the pile.
That's good news! Thank you so much! So you wouldn't worry to much at the minute then? Even thou he never seems come for food on his own I have to incourage him? Thanks

Rebbes

Welcome.
What type of lighting are you using?
I ask because there is a type closely related to eye issues in tortoises.
A photo would be great.
In fact, if you can, please photograph the whole enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_3789.PNG
    IMG_3789.PNG
    853.5 KB · Views: 3

Rebbes

I use a heating light and uv in one and a heating lamp just for nights. Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Ralph.
If you want to post a video, post it on You Tube first, and then copy and paste it to here.
You don't want lighting at night, tortoises require total darkness to sleep properly.
If you need night heat get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of great information.

Rebbes

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Ralph.
If you want to post a video, post it on You Tube first, and then copy and paste it to here.
You don't want lighting at night, tortoises require total darkness to sleep properly.
If you need night heat get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of great information.
Hi, no the heat lamp I use at night is just for heat no light to it at all. Thank you for helping I'll try and post soon