Help - Tiny Insects, Different Colors/Sizes Found in Baby Sulcata Enclosure

kitxunei

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi there,

Firstly, I am familiar with Springtails, but I'm not sure on my ID. There are some black insects crawling around the food bowl - I don't know what those are. There are some white, jumping insects crawling around the water bowl - I think these might be springtails, but I'm not sure. I don't see any of them crawling on my tortoise itself.

I've had my baby sulcata for about a month now and these insects showed up a few days ago. I use cypress mulch as bedding and keep the humidity high. I spot-clean daily.

Tried uploading a video but it wouldn't let me, so here are some photos instead.

Thanks

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.png
    2.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1.png
    1.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Harmless detrivores that are enjoying the warm humid environment you've created for them. They are working to keep the enclosure clean and won't harm your tortoise.

kitxunei

Florida
Harmless detrivores that are enjoying the warm humid environment you've created for them. They are working to keep the enclosure clean and won't harm your tortoise.
Thanks, it's great to know they're just detritivores.

By the way, Tom, massive thank-you for the sulcata care guide you wrote. I referenced it a lot when researching and setting up my enclosure. :)

Reactions: Tom