Help me determine sex of my sulcata

rissa_noelle

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi everyone!

My cute sulcata tortoise is a little over 4 years old. Up until this point, I have been calling it a "he" until I could figure out the sex. I looked a little closer today and it appears that it may be a female due to the shape of the anal chutes.

I'll add some pictures to this thread and would appreciate if someone that identifies tortoises could help me confirm :)

Thank you!
DSC05936.JPGDSC05931.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Might still be too young/small to tell. All babies look female until they start going through sexual maturity. But, you're right about those female-looking anal scutes for now.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How big is your sulcata? Size matters most in developing sexual maturity. By 16" / 16 lbs you can be 99% certain in sexing. Smaller than that can still result in changes, although some do develop their sexual characteristics smaller/ earlier.

Yours certainly looks female.
-Anal scutes with tips pointing back and notch rounding into 1/2 circle.
-Flat plastron
-Supracaudal not curving under back towards tail
-Gulars short, not elongating.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would try to have interchangeable names as Knobby to Mary Knobbins and might be knobby again. @maggie3fan ... This is why I have Miss. Dexter Persimmons lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone!

My cute sulcata tortoise is a little over 4 years old. Up until this point, I have been calling it a "he" until I could figure out the sex. I looked a little closer today and it appears that it may be a female due to the shape of the anal chutes.

I'll add some pictures to this thread and would appreciate if someone that identifies tortoises could help me confirm :)

Thank you!
View attachment 336115View attachment 336116
The best indicator is the tail, and we can't see that in your pics. Also, even though it is 4 years old, it appears your tortoise is still a bit too small to tell.

I don't like to flip them for pics. Best to have someone hold the carapace against their body with the head pointed toward the sky. Like this:
Female Sulcata.jpg
Male Sulcata.jpg

See the difference in tail size. Female is the top pic, and male in the second pic.