Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC metro
Hello all,

I just joined the board. I've been (very) sporadically on the tortoise forum at kingsnake for a few years (DEJ) and I recognize some of the names here from there. This board looks a little easier to navigate.

I've got a T. kleinmanni. He's been with us for a little over nine years now. He was found and retrieved (gently) by our neighbors' dog in their back yard, and gifted to me as I have a reputation as an "animal guy."

-Of course he's non-native.

I've always imagined his history as something like: wild born, came in in a shipment of Greeks, etc. mistaken as a juvenile, sold in a pet store as such, and subsequently escaped. He was obviously adult even then; full-size, lots of growth rings, mild pyramiding, nicks, scrapes, etc. Who knows how long he lived wild. A day, a month, five years?

Of course the facts suggest that this species wouldn't tolerate our winters, but this guy is a tank, a genetic survivor. I'm a believer in the theory that certain individual specimens really are just tougher than should be expected. You know, some wilting flowers keel over in perfect conditions while others flourish on proverbial "pizza and beer." He is the latter. (Though his diet, of course is nothing of the kind. ;) )

Here's a shot of him waking up from a nap on my K9 partner's mat. He had previously chased her off by biting her feet.

Shackletonwakingup.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shackelton: May we know your name? Or is it "DEJ"? I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Egyptian tortoise. I like the story you gave him. It sounds totally reasonable to me!!

Welcome to the forum. I agree with you, it is VERY easy to navigate.

Yvonne

shackleton

10 Year Member!
NYC metro
emysemys said:
Hi Shackelton: May we know your name? Or is it "DEJ"? I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Egyptian tortoise. I like the story you gave him. It sounds totally reasonable to me!!

Welcome to the forum. I agree with you, it is VERY easy to navigate.

Yvonne

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm Doug. The tort is Shackleton.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi and welcome to the forum.:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Doug and a big welcome to Shackleton also. He is a beautiful, or should I say handsome, Egyptian.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum Doug!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Doug :) Very nice looking Egyptian :)

Danny

shackleton

10 Year Member!
NYC metro
Thanks again for the welcomes. :D

Yup, he is a good looker.

More than that, I've read where kleinmanni are considered timid and lacking in personality, but Shack's got cojones to spare (which he likes to show off occasionally ;)) and personality for days!

Maybe it just goes towards my theory about special individuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.