Hello

Emily7tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Palistine
I am a Completely new member to this group and I'm the owner of 7 of what I think are Egyptian tortoises. I few days ago I got a new baby tortoise who is about 2 to 4 months old know the thing that I am concerned about is one day she is super active and walks a lot and the next day she doesn't walk up even if I tried but also she randomly starts walking in a circle for 5 s while her eyes are closed then continues to sleep I haven't really seen anything like this in my 6 other tortoises. Is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi emily, and welcome!

When a tortoise is walking around with its eyes closed it generally means the eyes are tuck or swollen shut. This sometimes happens when they haven't been eating, and missing out on their vitamins. Did you quarantine the new tortoise before you put it in with the others? Can you buy canned human baby food where you live? Canned pureed carrots human baby food is a way to get those eyes open. Mix it half and half with warm water and soak the baby for 45 minutes or so every day

Reactions: Tom

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
Hi emily, and welcome!

When a tortoise is walking around with its eyes closed it generally means the eyes are tuck or swollen shut. This sometimes happens when they haven't been eating, and missing out on their vitamins. Did you quarantine the new tortoise before you put it in with the others? Can you buy canned human baby food where you live? Canned pureed carrots human baby food is a way to get those eyes open. Mix it half and half with warm water and soak the baby for 45 minutes or so every day
First I didn't know that you should quarantine it could you please explain what I should do second it can open it's eyes but while she is sleeping she all of a sudden started walking for a maximum of 3 seconds then continues to sleep and this happens when I put it on my carpet

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I am a Completely new member to this group and I'm the owner of 7 of what I think are Egyptian tortoises. I few days ago I got a new baby tortoise who is about 2 to 4 months old know the thing that I am concerned about is one day she is super active and walks a lot and the next day she doesn't walk up even if I tried but also she randomly starts walking in a circle for 5 s while her eyes are closed then continues to sleep I haven't really seen anything like this in my 6 other tortoises. Is this normal?
Welcome! We can help you determine the species with photos, if you're not 100% sure they are Egyptians.

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
That photo is too blurry for identification as species can look somewhat similar as hatchlings.
Here is some better pictures this one isn't the same one but she is the same type and size

Attachments

• IMG20231118200000.jpg
    IMG20231118200000.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20231118195949.jpg
    IMG20231118195949.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG20231118200005.jpg
    IMG20231118200005.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 3

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Based on the plastron markings I do not think this little one is an Egyptian tortoise https://www.hermannihaven.com/testudo-kleinmanni

Can you post photos of the tail and hind legs? If there are 2 tiny spurs (will look like white dots at this age) on each inner thigh either side of the tail then it is likely a Greek tortoise. There are many subspecies of Greek tortoise, but knowing it's a Greek will help with their care at this point.

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
Based on the plastron markings I do not think this little one is an Egyptian tortoise https://www.hermannihaven.com/testudo-kleinmanni

Can you post photos of the tail and hind legs? If there are 2 tiny spurs (will look like white dots at this age) on each inner thigh either side of the tail then it is likely a Greek tortoise. There are many subspecies of Greek tortoise, but knowing it's a Greek will help with their care at this point.
I have suspected before that it could be a Greek but because I live somewhere near eygept and they are really popular hear so I thought it would be eygeption

Attachments

• IMG20231118202441.jpg
    IMG20231118202441.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
Are all 7 hatchlings? Curious as to where you got them from as a good breeder should have known the species.
I think most of them are the same type except one or two but they are big I got them from someone close to me they have a lot of tortoises in there backyard and when any of the lay eggs they give it to up after they hatch so they don't get eaten by cats or dogs. Edit: only two of them are hatchling as I have another two that are from 2 to 3 years old and two that are hatchling and the rest are pretty big

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think most of them are the same type except one or two but they are big I got them from someone close to me they have a lot of tortoises in there backyard and when any of the lay eggs they give it to up after they hatch so they don't get eaten by cats or dogs. Edit: only two of them are hatchling as I have another two that are from 2 to 3 years old and two that are hatchling and the rest are pretty big
Please soak the new baby in warm water ASAP. If you can get the human baby food carrots that Yvonne suggested, it will likely help a lot.

Read this and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. These threads will tell you how to properly care for and feed them all:

There are greek tortoise subspecies that occur in Egypt and all around that part of the world. Testudo graeca. What is the size of the two that produce babies? How many centimeters long are they? What do the breeders weigh in grams?

@[email protected]
@zovick
@TeamZissou

Do these look like Egyptian babies to you guys?

Last edited:

AmandaF

Congresbury
Welcome to the forum, the people here are so knowledgeabl.
Ernie 🐢 & Amanda

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
Please soak the new baby in warm water ASAP. If you can get the human baby food carrots that Yvonne suggested, it will likely help a lot.

Read this and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. These threads will tell you how to properly care for and feed them all:

There are greek tortoise subspecies that occur in Egypt and all around that part of the world. Testudo graeca. What is the size of the two that produce babies? How many centimeters long are they? What do the breeders weigh in grams?

@[email protected]
@zovick
@TeamZissou

Do these look like Egyptian babies to you guys?

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
Thanks for the link about the information it really is helpful but I sadly don't know how are the breeders or who are the tortoises who laid these eggs they all live together so it's hard to find out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the link about the information it really is helpful but I sadly don't know how are the breeders or who are the tortoises who laid these eggs they all live together so it's hard to find out
What is the size of the larger tortoises in the group? Can we see a picture of the adults? That will help us to ID what you have there.

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
What is the size of the larger tortoises in the group? Can we see a picture of the adults? That will help us to ID what you have there.
Now unfortunately I don't have the larger tortoises but I have a photo of my tortoise who I believe is the same type

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-18-21-25-30-26_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-18-21-25-30-26_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2