Hello

Johnyboy68

Location (City and/or State)
Weston super mare
Hi tortoise lovers,

I have a pair of Herman’s that I’ve had for 40 years. They are both well. Problem is that they are sooo fussy and refuse to eat most of the normal tortoise’weeds’ they’ll eat dandelions and thistle but there favourite food is romaine lettuce. Tried so many of the proper foods but they are soo stubborn. Any ideas would be great fully received. Thanks
Ps they have a large outdoor run and a greenhouse for when is cooler. I’m in somerset,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To introduce any new food is a long process for tortoises. Start with a tiny amount of the new stuff. Less than one percent, and mince it up super fine. Wet the favored greens and mix in the minced new stuff thoroughly. It should just be a few specks stuck to the favorite greens. If the tortoise doesn't eat it, keep offering the exact same thing for several days. A hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise.

Gradually, over time, increase the amount of new stuff. It takes weeks. After you've gone through this process with several new items, it begins to have a synergistic effect and newer foods will be accepted sooner and more readily.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome, it takes persistence and a little tough love at times. But Tom's method works.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon.It was especially interesting to read your post, as I have a Hermann who is nearly 22 years old. He is willing to try most foods, but his favourite is radicchio, which I order and get in the form of whole heads from a greengrocer in Barnstaple, about 45 minutes drive away. I find that they keep really well in the fridge for a long time.
We take him out every day - often to look at the sea near Bude - he loves to watch the waves. He has been to Weston super Mare too, and many other places. He likes going in the car, sitting on my lap, and then my husband carries him in his hand as we walk around. He likes to look at things - people, flowers , water, etc and tends to keep his neck stretched out, so he can see properly.
What are your tortoises names? Please do send photos.
Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

(stop offering romaine to them. They won't starve themselves)