Hello!

Ashlixmarie

Hello there!

My name is Ashli and I have two tortoises, a red footed tortoise and a leopard tortoise. The red footed tortoise I got in November of 2012 and the leopard in January of 2013 as youngins. I initially named the red footed Bradley but now I'm beginning to think it's a female as the shell is not concave on the bottom. Still very unsure on the leopards gender. If anyone has advice on clarifying that it's appreciated.

I live in Rhode Island (northeast USA).

I also have a snapping turtle, a pitbull, and a Maine coon kitty mix going on 15 years old still going strong (I've had him since I was 8, now he came with me to my apartment!)

I joined the forums with the intention of finding a way to conveniently and healthily house my tortoises at my apartment to get them out of my parents house so I can properly care for them. They cannot be housed together so I was hoping to find stackable enclosures I can buy. I wasn't sure if closed enclosures were better for these breeds?

I can take these questions to different areas of the forums if needed!

Happy to meet others who love tortoises like me!

Ashlixmarie

My boyfriend took on the snapper as a rescue. I tend to stick to non-aquatics hehehe. My leopard had a calcium deficiency in the past, his shell would not harden up and he was lethargic and stopped eating at one point. He is doing much better now. I get good support from the people at the shop I go to. Need to get them in a larger more suitable habitat now though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are many, many folks here that keep their tortoises indoors in "northern type" climates.
I can't be of much help there.
You already know about the importance of heat and UV light.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas! I have couple of RF yearlings. And I also have a Maine Coon kitty-boy. Mine is 7 yrs old. I'll be very interested in what you come up with for the enclosure as I'm already thinking of what I'll do for mine indoors once they reach their adult size. We do get "little winter" here, where temp drop to near freezing. I'd definitely bring them inside during that time. Please post pictures of your set up as you get things figured out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Ashli, and welcome to the Forum!

15yrs and already in your own apartment?

Ooops! The kitty is 15...sorry!

Ashlixmarie

There are many, many folks here that keep their tortoises indoors in "northern type" climates.
I can't be of much help there.
You already know about the importance of heat and UV light.

Yes definitely! My tortoises are just getting g bigger now and need a bigger enclosure. With the upgrade I want to make sure I go the best route in keeping it the right temperate and humidity (humidity has been a struggle for me, not sure how to keep it right), and if possible find stacking enclosures as space is already scarce in my apartment and my tortoises need to be separate. My bigger redfoot can be a bully.

Ashlixmarie

Welcome from Texas! I have couple of RF yearlings. And I also have a Maine Coon kitty-boy. Mine is 7 yrs old. I'll be very interested in what you come up with for the enclosure as I'm already thinking of what I'll do for mine indoors once they reach their adult size. We do get "little winter" here, where temp drop to near freezing. I'd definitely bring them inside during that time. Please post pictures of your set up as you get things figured out

Will do!! :) and aren't Maine coons the best?? If your kitties personality is anything like mine they're just amazing!!!

Hey, Ashli, and welcome to the Forum!

15yrs and already in your own apartment?

Ooops! The kitty is 15...sorry!

Hahaha yes! On the other hand I'm 22!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ashli, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
if you post a picture of the plastron and especially the tail area of your leopard, someone might be able to give you a gender.
Don't miss our enclosures section for lots of information that may be of use to you.
Closed enclosures may be best to keep the humidity controlled easier for these species.