Hello!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
No I haven't soaked her. Would I soak her in the bathtub or in a separate container?

If she can not have a large and deep enough dish to self soak in her enclosure, then yes you need to soak her. Either a separate tub or bathtub works, but I think the human tub would have more chemical risks to her.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Ok I'll soak her in a separate container until her outdoor enclosure is finished. I think that you are right, the bath tub has chemicals in it. In her new enclosure there will be a small pond that she can go in. Also, until her new cage is done, how often and for how long should I soak her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam, and welcome to the Forum!

Is that a little sulcata in there too, or a ceramic tortoise? One should never mix species, it might cause one or the other to become sick.

I agree with the others who have said your viv is too small. If that's a little sulcata, the viv is a good size for it, however, way too small for the RF tortoise.

I don't know if the others have addressed it, but pyramiding is caused during the first year of a baby tortoise's life if he's kept in too dry conditions.

ShellyTheTortoise71

That is a ceramic tortoise, not a sulcata :) But I definetly understand the inadequate cage. Also, I had no control over it. I adopted her at the age of six. But, I need to raise the humidity for sure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No I haven't soaked her. Would I soak her in the bathtub or in a separate container?
Use a high sided bowl that she can't see through. Use warm water, not too hot, that just comes up over her plastron and let her stand in it for a good 20 minutes.

I find it best to do it at the start of the day when the tort hasn't warmed up properly. Don't be surprised if she poops in the water.

Feed straight afterwards. Pooping and drinking makes them hungry :)

ShellyTheTortoise71

Use a high sided bowl that she can't see through. Use warm water, not too hot, that just comes up over her plastron and let her stand in it for a good 20 minutes.

I find it best to do it at the start of the day when the tort hasn't warmed up properly. Don't be surprised if she poops in the water.

Feed straight afterwards. Pooping and drinking makes them hungry :)
I know I should probably know this, but where is their plastron?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry, the plastron is the undershell. The plate on the belly of your tort. The water should lap up over it, but you don't want it too deep... it's not a turtle that can swim :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Sam and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Shelly.
Your're getting lots of good advice and are obviously here to listen and learn to make your torts life better, so I'll just say..
Good luck!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I will definetly be enlarging her space ASAP. Her outdoor enclosure will be 10x10 so she will love it. Also, I will start feeding her daily. I never thought of adding soil to the bark either, but I will definetly try it.
It will be a tremendous aid in keeping up the humidity level!:)