Hello all! My names Heather and I have some questions!

Heather513

My name is Heather, me and my boyfriend of five years live in Alaska, and we image.jpg have two sulcata tortoises that we've had for about 2 years, and tonight we aquired a third tortoise from someone, only problem is, we cannot seem to figure out what kind of tortoise he or she is. So I will try to attach a picture and please feel free to comment on any suggestions as to what he might be, and any advice for different care and such information is welcome too! : ) thank you!

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Welcome. I don't know what kind it is but he is beautiful. What a smooth shell. Someone has been taking good care of him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations. Sulcatas in alaska? wow that's something.. It is a box turtle, not native, and very different care than sulcatas.

Heather513

Thank you all! He does appear to be a box turtle, and yes, we live in southeast alaska with what we are fairly sure is one male and one female sulcata, and now our new box turtle addition, hmmm, what to name him. Our sulcatas are Seymour and Gertrude : ) guess we will have to see. Seymour was a friends tortoise who went away to college and Gertrude was a rescue we took in from a not so nice home. We have been lucky the last few years and have had fairly mild and really nice summers, so we try to take them outside often to roam and snack (while we watch for eagles, haha) now we have one more lil guy to add to our already zoo of a house : ) one dog, three cats, multiple fish tanks and three reptiles, with fosters of all sorts in between : )

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! ! And Welcome.

I love to see and know how you kept your sulcata in Alaska in summer and during the winter. You and your BF must go out of your way to build their enclosure. Care to share some photos?

Thanks.

Heather513

BouaBoua,

Since we have had these guys and as of now they are not that big at all, so we have them in a large glass tank until we can figure out how we would like to permanently set them up, as our house is rather small, I really wish that we lived somewhere down south where we could build them an awesome outdoor home, but we live in a rain forest, and not a warm one at that, and when they say RAIN forest they mean it. Haha but I would love to here anyone's ideas on any great future housing ideas to come up with, we hope to upgrade them soon : )

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I hope that the great picture was taken just to show us all of them collectively....I would strongly urge that the sulcata are not housed with the boxie.....they are not of the same species nor the same care nor diet....oh, WELCOME....:D

Heather513

I hope that the great picture was taken just to show us all of them collectively....I would strongly urge that the sulcata are not housed with the boxie.....they are not of the same species nor the same care nor diet....oh, WELCOME....:D

Haha, yes ascott, the photo was just for viewing them all at once, they were all roaming about the living room, so I figured id show you all. Any special info anyone would like to share about the box turtle? Now that we know what he is, I'd like to set him up as best possible.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Welcome to the forum! Your turtles are very beautiful, have a great time on TFO :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Heather, and welcome to the forum! Here's a link to one of Terryo's indoor habitats. She has the prettiest habitats around. this one is for a RF, but her box turtles are set up the same way:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/solos-new-vivarium.24768/

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Heather welcome to the TFO from AZ . Great little boxy ! Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum