Heat bulbs at night

mellie101

10 Year Member!
Hi everybody. I have a 14 month old greek. We have recently just moved him to a bigger indoor enclosure where I've realised that one UV bulb in the day isn't enough light. We decided to do the 'dual ballast' so that we could put the new UV bulb and the heat bulb together at the other end of the enclosure. We've planted some plants and lots of grass seed etc so feel that the extra light is needed.
I realised that after I bought the double ballast that its recommended that you don't use ceramic bulbs in them. Not happy as I've been very happy with the one we've got. I bought a red infrared one and put it on last night. Just seems way to bright. I've been looking at black ones but they don't have a very good right up. What do you all recommend? My temp in my house doesn't go below 68 at night.

Any recommendations. I'd love to use the ceramic bulb but the double ballast is going to work for us for where the enclosure is. We also have set up a camera overlooking the enclosure as Mr Greek has a nice habit of flipping himself. This way I can check in when I'm out.
Thanks everybody.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I use black incandescent lights for every reptile in my reptile room that needs overhead heat. I've been very happy with them. I just buy them at Lowes and always keep spares around in case one burns out.

I also do not like the red ones.

mellie101

10 Year Member!
Thanks Lisa. I'll pop over there later and have a look. Cheers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not understanding what lights you are using and what you are switching to. The only lights that need a separate ballasts are the tube style fluorescents, but those don't generate any heat.

When you say "double ballast", do you mean one of those dual fixtures with the deep domes and screw in sockets? Those are problematic for a couple of reasons. First, if your UV bulb is one of the coil types that would fit in that fixture, I would not use it. Those sometimes burn reptile eyes. The second thing is, those fixtures don't allow you to move them up or down, independently of the other bulb, so that you can get you basking temp set correctly. Also, those deep domes are a no go if you decide to use a MVB.

Here is what you need: Heat, light and UV. For heat, any incandescent flood bulb will do. For light, incandescent bulbs or florescent tubes can get the job done. For UV I like florescent tubes or mercury vapor bulbs.

For a greek the easy solution is to use a mercury vapor bulb. Heat, light and UV all in one. If you want more light you can hang a florescent tube in there.

Another option would be to use a regular incandescent flood bulb set at the correct height to give you a 95-100 degree basking spot, and then use a florescent UV tube for UV and light.

Your tortoise should not need any night heat unless you live in a refrigerator.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tom said:

I love it when you say this. It always makes me laugh for some reason.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lisa127 said:
Tom said:

I love it when you say this. It always makes me laugh for some reason.

I can't take credit. I think it was GB that said something similar to this and I stole his line.

I just find it amusing. Everyone wants to heat the med. species, and nobody wants to give night heat to sulcatas and other tropical species...

(When I say "everybody" I am making a broad statement about the general public, NOT referring to the knowledgable members of any tortoise forum.)

Fujininja

5 Year Member
I can't take credit. I think it was GB that said something similar to this and I stole his line.

I just find it amusing. Everyone wants to heat the med. species, and nobody wants to give night heat to sulcatas and other tropical species...

(When I say "everybody" I am making a broad statement about the general public, NOT referring to the
My house will become around 55 degrees at night so i use a night light as a kind of basking area. What do you suggest? He is a 8 month old hermanns tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I would use a CHE set on a thermostat to prevent ambient from dropping below 65ish. They need it dark at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason I don't like the dual bulb fixture is because I want my day light on one end of the habitat and my night heat on the other.