Healthy Shell on Russian Hatchling??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey all. My 3-4 month old Russian appears to be doing well.
Background: He eats well, is fairly active, empties regularly and normally. Basking spot 96-98, hot side 89-94, cool side 70-75. Humidity is usually around 40-45% and he gets soaked every other day for now because he did have a fairly runny stool 4 days ago so I uped the fiber and decreased soakings which did solve the problem.

Anyways, to my concerns. His shell does appear to be showing new growth but there are a few spots that look odd to me. This is my first Russian as I have only ever had Sulcatas and Red eared sliders. His shell is fairly shiny but these spots or "extra shiny" spots have me concerned.
Here are some pictures. Let me know what ya think!

A million thanks! :)

IMG_0109.jpgIMG_5363.jpgIMG_2149.jpgIMG_8510.jpgshellquestion?.jpg

I did circle the spots that I am concerned about in the last picture which I uploaded twice so you could see it with the circles and without!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice-looking little baby Russian tortoise. I don't think there's anything to worry about on that shell.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I don't either, I would go back to soaking daily, or increase the humidity a little.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Spn785 said:
I don't either, I would go back to soaking daily, or increase the humidity a little.

I plan on soaking him daily again and seeing if the runny stool reappears. I also am planning on cutting the lid that came with the rubbermaid container that he is in in half and covering part of the enclosure to see if that helps with the humidity because I struggle to keep it at 40-45.

Thanks all! ;)

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
laney said:
Are the spots on his plastron substrate? If not maybe take a closer pic of them

Those white shiny looking things? No. He is in coco coir so the substrate is brown. There were more spots today then their were a few days ago. I will try to take some close up pictures tomorrow after work and I will post them. The spots I am concerned about are hard to describe. I wish I could find my Nikon. It takes way better pictures then my iPhone. :/

EDIT: Laney, I just read your post more carefully. Yes the few spots you see on the plastron are substrate. His plastron does not have have irregularities as of yet.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I have seen the white spots before. It usually comes when they start growing in earnest. If your baby is between è and 4 months old then its right on track. I just make sure mine get sunshine daily and all the access to calcium they want. In a couple days this little one should start nomming on its cuttlebone (it does have cuttlebone right?)to keep up with the calcium its using for shell building. Watch its diet and offer calcium rich things. Also continue soaking. Hydration is important when you are the size of a quarter. Make sure it is able to really tromp around in its enclosure. Exercise is very important for bone development.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
kanalomele said:
I have seen the white spots before. It usually comes when they start growing in earnest. If your baby is between è and 4 months old then its right on track. I just make sure mine get sunshine daily and all the access to calcium they want. In a couple days this little one should start nomming on its cuttlebone (it does have cuttlebone right?)to keep up with the calcium its using for shell building. Watch its diet and offer calcium rich things. Also continue soaking. Hydration is important when you are the size of a quarter. Make sure it is able to really tromp around in its enclosure. Exercise is very important for bone development.

Yes he has a cuttle bone! :) he hasn't touched it yet from what I've seen but it is there. He has 2 enclosures. A 55 gallon Rubbermaid in the house and a 4'x4' outside with plants and such. I've continued with the daily soakings as of yesterday and today and once again his stool is a bit runny so I guess I will make more zoomed grassland pellet burritos to get more fiber in him.

I don't know if this changes things but I found out yesterday that he actually hatched in January roughly (he was ground hatched so I don't think they know the exact date) so he is not as old as I was originally told. ( I was told 3 ish months when I got him on the 12 th).

Thank you!! You've put my mind at ease ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.