hatchling weight questions (eating or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Or so my hatchling was born to the breeder dec 22.

I do not konw what weight he was but i looked up on line and some one else said there leos hatch at 12 to 16 grams.

"bb" is at 21.9 grams and 27 days old. I have been placing food in his area and i did see him take a bite of cactus pad.. one or two....

I will be ordering some mazuri from spike this week....

does any one have experience with weighting there hatchlings?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terra: I mean you no disrespect when I say that I would never advise a first time tortoise keeper to start out with a hatchling. Many of them suffer from "failure to thrive" and die. Many of them don't eat well right off the bat.

A hatchling isn't a put-it-in-the-container-and-forget-it type of pet. It requires constant tweeking of the habitat and attention to the hatchling.

You've been on the forum long enough now to understand when I say, look at how many hatchling deaths we've read about in the last couple of months. They are very fragile and need constant attention to keep them right. You can't allow a hatchling go for more than a day without eating. You can't allow them to get cold.

My advice to you would be to keep after the seller until they give you help you need to get this baby eating. Once you've gotten him eating according to the way the seller was feeding the babies, then you can gradually change over to the way "they," the experts, tell you to feed a leopard. But, keep after them. The baby will surely die if he doesn't develop a good appetite soon.

It is always helpful to have two hatchlings at the same time as it causes competition for the food. One sees the other eating and he wants it too.

Good luck with your baby. We can answer your questions, but I really do think your most important resource right now is the seller because they're closer to you and better able to see what is going on with your habitat.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I agree with Yvonne, you should feed what the seller was feeding to ensure he is eating and gradually introduce new foods mixed in. Mine started with just spring mix and now eats aloe vera, hibiscus, Mizuri, and chopped up orchard grass as well. Also, how ling have you had him? I notice mine has been a lot more active now that hes settled in his new home. I now see him throughout his enclosure many times during the day and not sleeping all day like before.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well the "seller" told me she didnt know if he was eating yet.. Also, i got this little guy for free...she is a good friend... Now he has only been with me for 3 days now so i expect, him to have that new scared feeling.... so no he is not settled but the fact the "seller" didnt know if he was eating..well that makes me over worry.......

Now he did take a bite or two of mazuri tonight, after his walk outside in the sun for a few mins... The sun came out and we ducked outside for the light, yes it may have been a bit cold, but after that he was VERY awake and roamed his terraium....

I could pick up a second one if you think it would help...

I will of course watch his weight and if it goes down then i would make serious changes, but right now my life is focusing around this guy... He is set up in a area i walk past 1000 times a day, and all my spare time i sit with him, talk to him, hold him for a couple mins every now and again...

He is not neglected.. I dig worms out of the yard, pull the dandelions from the yard and soak him every day.. the soaking will go down, but he wasnt soaked before i got him to much...so the soaks are kind of his exersice as well to me... i feel he needs to scramble and work his muscles

he moves very slow and it seemed to improve today after his "walk" (he never left the warmth of my chest) and he got the sun rays on his little head and shell

I want to try the hibiscus.... i need to look up where to get it at...

i just found him in his fod bowl, then i watched him move to his water bowl soak and then go to his flower pot hid in the moss... so maybe he is coming around...

Really one is enough to worry about.....

But if you think i need 2......

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
What are the temps in his enclosure? Does he have hides for security? I not only use hides, but also fake plants for mine to hide under. He could be stressed especially being so little and young. Maybe you should try a spring mix or some dark greens first. My baby eats everything, but especially loves the greens.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Temps are 88 to 90 on one side and a bit lower more 80ish on the dry side..

i have a hide on either side..

he hasnt touched any greens, but he has ate a bit of cactus and mazuri...

I feel a lit better after he took a few bites tonight...

i do have a scale i am going to weight him every day, so i can make sure he is sneaking in food!!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
how is he doing?

I'm surprised the breeder couldn't tell you if the tort was eating or not... Not usually a good sign. IMO

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Thank you for following up.....

He is now 28 grams, so he has put on some weight!!!

I have a nice little set up with fresh dichondra growing in it and he has really enjoyed that!

I am not worried with him as I was

Status
Not open for further replies.