Hatchling on meds questions

Jami

Hi everyone!

HermIt is still alive (thank goodness) but he seems very weak - understandably. He seems to want to eat today but isn't getting the food in. I didn't give him the Baytril this morning, only the other antibiotic. He seems better than yesterday. Should I get baby food carrots and make him a mash with mazuri or plantain leaves? Should I be avoiding the Baytril?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If the vet gave you instructions on how long to use the antibiotics, you should follow them.

I would cut his food up in very tiny pieces to make it easier for him to get it in, and pile it up against a wall so it doesn't push away from him.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Jami

If the vet gave you instructions on how long to use the antibiotics, you should follow them.

I would cut his food up in very tiny pieces to make it easier for him to get it in, and pile it up against a wall so it doesn't push away from him.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
Hi! Thanks, yes, I'm going to, but spread it out - 1 in morning, 1 in afternoon, 1 in evening. Having the 2 together in morning seemed to be very hard on him. I know people have talked about the baytril so I've been worried but will keep giving it.

Thanks for the food idea!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Most of the time it is better to follow the vet's advice,esp.concerning septicemia,nasty business.Did the vet have any idea what may havve caused it?

Jami

Most of the time it is better to follow the vet's advice,esp.concerning septicemia,nasty business.Did the vet have any idea what may havve caused it?
Hello, thanks for responding. Yes, I'm following her advice as best I can. I think he gets overloaded with two meds at once in the morning. Since it has to have extra water as a chaser, to get it thru the catheter tube, I think spreading it out is better. The vet said he could have the two together in the morning but didn't have to. I think as long as the other two doses are 12 hours apart the baytril can be whenever since it's once daily.

She's not sure what caused it, and says he looks septic but she is not sure what it is really. He didn't appear to have any injuries and she felt it was not anything I did or didn't do. She thinks he may have been "off - not altogether healthy" from the beginning. She took pictures of him on her cell so when we go back she can compare.

I'm so hoping he gets better. He can't seem to get food in, even when I chop it up. I'd like to try the baby food but I'm not sure how. Just mix w/ his spring water and put him in it? Ugh....

Thanks,
Jami

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just mix the baby food with his water that he soaks in.As he drinks he will take some in. baby food is high in calories, which is what he could use now.

Jami

Just mix the baby food with his water that he soaks in.As he drinks he will take some in. baby food is high in calories, which is what he could use now.
Ok. Thanks much!

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
When Tink was poorly and on anti biotics, I was given a special electrolyte solution to mix with the water I bathed him in twice daily. It was called repto-boost, this really perked him up and helped him get better. When u bath them in it though (or the baby food) make sure u rinse them off thoroughly before putting back in enclosure, as because it's food if not washed off properly can cause shell rot.

Jami

When Tink was poorly and on anti biotics, I was given a special electrolyte solution to mix with the water I bathed him in twice daily. It was called repto-boost, this really perked him up and helped him get better. When u bath them in it though (or the baby food) make sure u rinse them off thoroughly before putting back in enclosure, as because it's food if not washed off properly can cause shell rot.
Thanks. But he just died.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Omgosh I'm so sorry for your loss. Can't even imagine how your feeling right now. From your posts, it looks like you did everything you could have done for him. He was lucky to have such a caring owner xx

Jami

Omgosh I'm so sorry for your loss. Can't even imagine how your feeling right now. From your posts, it looks like you did everything you could have done for him. He was lucky to have such a caring owner xx
Thank you so much. We really tried.