Hatchling number 3 and pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Little leopard number 3 came bouncing out of his egg yesterday afternoon and started walking around the incubator. He looks good and is very active. I also noticed a leg poking out of another egg this morning so number 4 should be out tonight.

In his brooder box after a morning soak today.
hatchling 1.3 5-21-13.jpg

The first two enjoying some dinner last night.
Enjoying Dinner.jpg

And a HUGE thanks to Tom for all his help along the way. I owe you big! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Incredible man. Even though I already hatch sulcatas I can't wait until my p.pardalis can lay and I can hatch some leopards.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Greg T said:
Little leopard number 3 came bouncing out of his egg yesterday afternoon and started walking around the incubator. He looks good and is very active. I also noticed a leg poking out of another egg this morning so number 4 should be out tonight.

In his brooder box after a morning soak today.

The first two enjoying some dinner last night.

And a HUGE thanks to Tom for all his help along the way. I owe you big! :D

Wow Greg, you're doing great! IIRC you have never really delt with babies right? Iit's amazing just how tiny they start out. Just think, before long you're gonna have 29 of them running around you're house, lol. How is the wife adapting to the new members of the family, hopefully she's understanding.

Tom's not so bad, even if he is crazy California liberal :D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
jtrux said:
Wow Greg, you're doing great! IIRC you have never really delt with babies right? Iit's amazing just how tiny they start out. Just think, before long you're gonna have 29 of them running around you're house, lol. How is the wife adapting to the new members of the family, hopefully she's understanding.

This is my first experience with babies, so learning new stuff every day! It is an incredible experience too! The wife was skeptical at first but now that we have some tiny ones running around, she's into it too. Now it takes me longer to take care of the torts in the morning than it does to make lunches for everyone. I'm going to have to start getting up earlier...

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Greg T said:
jtrux said:

This is my first experience with babies, so learning new stuff every day! It is an incredible experience too! The wife was skeptical at first but now that we have some tiny ones running around, she's into it too. Now it takes me longer to take care of the torts in the morning than it does to make lunches for everyone. I'm going to have to start getting up earlier...

It won't be long and you'll find ways to expedite the process. If you're not careful it can consume your whole day.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
OH HOW GORGEOUS!!!!!
It must be soooo strange, or may be not, just to appear from a place you've been living in for months (the egg) to then not know where the hell you are, and to just be walking around on some white spongy stuff (tissue) haha :D love it!! i get so happy at hatchlings!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
LeopardTortLover said:
OH HOW GORGEOUS!!!!!
It must be soooo strange, or may be not, just to appear from a place you've been living in for months (the egg) to then not know where the hell you are, and to just be walking around on some white spongy stuff (tissue) haha :D love it!! i get so happy at hatchlings!

They are funny to watch at first. They jump like frogs to get away from you. They settle down some during soaks, but they will go like crazy in the brooder box to get away. Poor things with the yolk sac have more trouble until it goes down. It's like trying to walk around with a marble under them - they teeter back and forth but they do manage to get around. Luckily the sacs go down pretty quickly. They are adorable for sure!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The first two really look a lot a like in that picture. Beautiful babies!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Hatchling number 3 and pics

They are funny to watch at first. They jump like frogs to get away from you. They settle down some during soaks, but they will go like crazy in the brooder box to get away. Poor things with the yolk sac have more trouble until it goes down. It's like trying to walk around with a marble under them - they teeter back and forth but they do manage to get around. Luckily the sacs go down pretty quickly. They are adorable for sure!

---

Awww! Tortoises have such difficult starts! I didn't know they could jump though!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
LeopardTortLover said:
Awww! Tortoises have such difficult starts! I didn't know they could jump though!

I should try to get the jumping on video. It like a frog when you touch its rear end and it jumps forward. The babies don't know what is going on really so when you pick them up or touch their shell the first several times, they will kick out their back legs real hard and if you don't have a good grip they will fly forward. I haven't dropped one yet, but I have come close a few times.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Personally, I recommend carrying them in a small container rather than hold them, just my .02

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Greg T said:
LeopardTortLover said:

I should try to get the jumping on video. It like a frog when you touch its rear end and it jumps forward. The babies don't know what is going on really so when you pick them up or touch their shell the first several times, they will kick out their back legs real hard and if you don't have a good grip they will fly forward. I haven't dropped one yet, but I have come close a few times.

Yeah I can imagine. My 20 month/5 inch tortoise still tries to get away when I hold her sometimes. They're so strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.