Hatchling Florida Snapper - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Haven't posted in a long while and I hate to post with such a tragic topic. But this evening when I woke up and went to check on all of the turtles and torts I found our Florida Snapper upside down in his tank and he was gone.
Had gotten him for my husband a few months back,( He really wanted a turtle of his own since he sees all the others as mine and I was all the happy to satisfy him because I know how joyful they all are) and he is awfully devastated. Well as devastated as he will let me see. I would like some peace of mind in knowing what we did wrong or what went wrong as the little guy was always very healthy.

We acquired him, Tokka, four or so months ago. Since we have had him he has tripled his size. He always had quite the appetite as is common with Snappers. He was feed once a day, typically a pellet food and then a little treat of fish, insect or worms. He was housed in a 20 gallon aquarium with a gravel base, ( rocks too big to eat ) a large piece of driftwood and plants for hiding in. He also had a filter, so his water was always clean.

Two days ago Brandon cleaned his aquarium as is pretty normal monthly. We noticed then afterwards that he wouldn't eat. Since it seems to be common for them to stop eating when they are cold we added a light to boost his heat up from 77 degrees to 82 degrees. He was still active and reactive the same but he still would not eat.

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What did you use to clean his tank?
Could it have left some kind of residue? Or it may of had some other problems . With babies it's hard to tell where you went wrong. You may of done nothing wrong . Sorry for your loss the only way to know for sure is to take it to a vet and have an autopsy done.
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Did you use a water conditioner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species is it? I'm not familiar with "Florida Snapper". I only know common snappers and alligator snappers. Is it one of those?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What species is it? I'm not familiar with "Florida Snapper". I only know common snappers and alligator snappers. Is it one of those?

Chelydra serpentina osceola...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its a common snapper from Florida.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
EricIvins said:
Tom said:

Chelydra serpentina osceola...

Didn't know there was a subspecies designation in this species. Thank you. Wonder which one is the one I've been messin' with all these years.

Joiner

5 Year Member
We never used anything other then hot water and some man power to clean any of our tanks.

The Florida Snapping turtle is a subspecies of the Common Snapping turtle. The tubercles on its head are sharper than most Common Snapping turtles species.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
When you refilled it did you dechlorinate the water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
I'm not an expert but I think you were over feeding him and that's why he grew so fast. Also the tank is a bit small for a hatchling/juvenile snapper. Sorry for your loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.