Hatching vs juvenile care?

Melissarn80

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi! I’m researching what age we want to get. I’m not sure a hatchling is right for my family, but is juvenile care much different than a hatchling or more like adult?
All I’m finding is baby and adult care info sheets here...

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I LOVE that your looking up the care sheets!!! Smart!!!

So for me personally, I would get a an adult but that is usually a rescue or an adoption you will get with the big ones cuz most people need to rehome. Babies require up to 80-90% humidity at all times, consistent temperature control, daily soaking, lighting, specific substrate, and an evolving diet. When you get a baby you are responsible for “building” their shell. They rquire many nutrients. They are 100% the most precious thing you will hold, but they require much attention. I adopted a 5 yr old Sulcata, she lives outside. Her enclosure is lil over 600 sq ft plus a 8 by 10 shed. She needs more but I have 5 horses and require driving space in the back yard.
Benefit to getting a baby is you will be able to start them off better. When I got my adopted Sulcata she only ate spring mix and squash due to the care of the previous owners.

There are much smaller species though.... you have options! Look into whats best for your climate because tortoise thrive outside ?

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hatchlings are more available but you need to have an enclosed enclosure to contain heat, light, moisture and substrate. It also depends on your location, time for tortoise care and space. As mentioned in earlier post adoption is great to provide ongoing care. As they out live most owners this is a kind thing to do. Species research is also important as some can grow to huge weight and size and need space They are solitary so do not need a friend as that can cause stress and fighting as they grow. I started with russian hatchlings and have indoor and outdoor enclosures in the UK and that set up will last for a few years. Hope that helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I’m researching what age we want to get. I’m not sure a hatchling is right for my family, but is juvenile care much different than a hatchling or more like adult?
All I’m finding is baby and adult care info sheets here...
There really isn't much difference in the care of gatlings, juveniles and adults. Due to their smaller size, you'll need to pay a little more attention to hydration and humidity with a baby. Daily soaks for little hatchings vs. once or twice a week for older larger tortoises.

Nicolle5827

Az
There really isn't much difference in the care of gatlings, juveniles and adults. Due to their smaller size, you'll need to pay a little more attention to hydration and humidity with a baby. Daily soaks for little hatchings vs. once or twice a week for older larger tortoises.
I have two hatchlings and am curious. What do you mean daily soaks? Are you referring to salt baths?

Happytort27

CA
I have two hatchlings and am curious. What do you mean daily soaks? Are you referring to salt baths?
Soaking is just letting a tortoise sit in warm water. This lets them to stay hydrated and drink freely. I prefer to use an opaque container that is stable, too deep to climb out of, and allows some movement. The water should be luke-warm to warm. Hatchlings can easily overheat so do not make the water hot. Make sure it’s deep enough to cover the lower 1/3rd to 1/2 of the shell. Or, fill it up to where the bottom half of the shell meets the top part. If your room is cool, you may need to put the soaking container halfway in shade and sun or in their enclosure. You could also replace the water when it gets cold. Use water that is safe for you to drink. Filtered tap water works fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? Tortoises should never live in pairs. They need separate enclosures. Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs.

All hatchlings of all species should be soaked in warm water daily. Use a tall sided, opaque container and keep the water warm for the entire soak. 30-60 minutes is good. Rinse them when done.

Nicolle5827

Az
What species? Tortoises should never live in pairs. They need separate enclosures. Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs.

All hatchlings of all species should be soaked in warm water daily. Use a tall sided, opaque container and keep the water warm for the entire soak. 30-60 minutes is good. Rinse them when done.
I have a Nicharagian Ornate slider. His terrarium water is 82* F and under the heat lamp it’s 90 or more. How warm should the water be for the soak?

Nicolle5827

Az
I also have an Ouachita Map turtle. I have two terrariums a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. Should they each have their own tank? They currently have been sharing the 20 gal for 2 weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also have an Ouachita Map turtle. I have two terrariums a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. Should they each have their own tank? They currently have been sharing the 20 gal for 2 weeks.
This thread is in the Russian tortoise section. We are talking about tortoises. There is no need to soak an aquatic turtle.