Happy Crested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I guess I have a question and the observation to report.
My crested gecko Jules sings really loudly after he gets fed crickets which is really a rare occasion like 1x or 2x every 2-3 wks. It's a sort of fast repetitious clicking noise that he makes in a series of say 10. I also see him climbing on top of Hans whenever he is "happy" like this. I then wondered was he doing a love call? I also noticed that Jules would often use Hans as a step ladder to climb up or down from wherever he was, or they would naturally seem to lie next to or on top of each other which seems innocent enough. Humidity and Temp are always regulated well so I don't think they're trying to survive by hovering over each other for warmth. Is this a natural gecko behavior for juvenile male geckos of about 13 and say 15 months? Jules is more like a tigger--big, happy, loud, bouncy and jumpy. Hans is more cautious and docile but a much better stealth hunter for crickets. I don't see Jules is any more aggressive than Hans submissive. I have not seen them fight nor have I seen evidence of bite marks. I am wondering though if this mommy is oblivious of some sexual bx that I should discourage?? I am keeping good watch on 2 males together I had since they were around 3 months old. I've read that in absence of female, they could get along, and that they have always been fine together since January of this year. Any thoughts or comments?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
What are their weights? Age really doesn't matter too much with this species. That series of clicks can be a breeding noise. Does it sound kind of like an angry squirrel? Because thats a warning call. My female would make it whenever the male got too close to her, after they were together for breeding after 10 days of his company. She'd had enough of him, and was letting him know that coming closer would mean a bite.

Can you post pictures of the geckos, and their enclosure? What you are thinking is happiness, could very well just be stress. Him sitting on the other gecko may look like cuddling, but could very well just be bullying, or him trying to push the other gecko out of a spot, and that sound during cricket time could be Jules telling Hans "these are MY crickets, back off."

Madortoise

5 Year Member
hi Meg,

Last time I weighed them Jules was 17 gram and Hans 15, I think. They've grown a little more and Hans is definitely catching up and starting to show that he is a boy, too, this past few wks.

I don't detect any angry sound. Jules sometimes get scared or mad at me when I try to handle him and goes "oue!" a short little sound. They don't fight when they are being fed together. Jules just bounce around happy (like an ADHD kid) and jumps off and stomps on crickets while Hans hunts skillfully and strategically. Jules does not get in a way of Hans' hunt nor do they fight over crickets. I saw them lick CGD together off of a small bottle cap just a few days ago. They are seemingly being able to share well for now. I'm quite sure it's Jules making the noise since he's the vocal one and it could very well be the breeding noise like you said. That's why I posted this. The crested sound I've heard on the internet sounded more like birds chirping and I've heard them chirp, too, late at night. I'm sure there are people out there who can discipher the sounds they make.

I posted some pictures of them and their enclosure in the thread w/crested gecko shedding. Could you take a look?
When they were younger, they were in 10 gallon tank. They now are in 18x18x24 terrarium w/orchid barks and some branches/fake plants as well as orchid plant. During the day, they either hide under the plants next to each other or separately.
Thanks!
Mado

Meg90 said:
What are their weights? Age really doesn't matter too much with this species. That series of clicks can be a breeding noise. Does it sound kind of like an angry squirrel? Because thats a warning call. My female would make it whenever the male got too close to her, after they were together for breeding after 10 days of his company. She'd had enough of him, and was letting him know that coming closer would mean a bite.

Can you post pictures of the geckos, and their enclosure? What you are thinking is happiness, could very well just be stress. Him sitting on the other gecko may look like cuddling, but could very well just be bullying, or him trying to push the other gecko out of a spot, and that sound during cricket time could be Jules telling Hans "these are MY crickets, back off."

Status
Not open for further replies.